Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2007 10:00

E520 with Slow 3D performance with Intel X3000

Hello,
I purchased the E520 with the integrated intel video
last week (6/8/07) and got a good deal. I was hoping
to get reasonable 3D performace with "Punch Home
Design Architectural Series 18". However it is very slow.
I notice it while doing the helicopter overview in 3D.

Am I missing something or is this what I can expect?
Any tricks?
Other than that, the PC works great.

Hlacadie

322 Posts

June 13th, 2007 14:00

How much system memory do you have and what OS are you running (XP or Vista)? The GMA X3000 is not bad for basic 3D and Vista aero, but it uses some system memory and that may be your problem.

If you're using Vista, what video score are you getting when you test the system?

Ken

Message Edited by kdmphx on 06-13-2007 10:44 AM

322 Posts

June 13th, 2007 18:00

I just built a Vista system with the DG965 motherboard and am using the GMA X3000 (non gaming for the wife) for my video. The video was just okay until I loaded the Graphics Accelerator from Intel. It gave the system a big boost in Vista performance score. Here's the link for the XP version. Maybe it isn't loaded???

Ken

4 Posts

I'm using windows XP from a fresh install (no bloatware). I have 1gig of DDR2 ram. The video system "claims" it is using 225MB. So with a fresh install, there should be no issues with startup programs. As far virus programs (Norton and Mcaffee) can there be a worse virus than one of these programs? I take my chances with a hardware firewall and free online scanners.

I'm trying a pre-beta driver tonight from Intel. Hope it helps,

Thanks,
H Lacadie

12.1K Posts

For that program you should have 2 gb of main memory.  Vista, if that is what you have, is a memory resource hog, and needs lots of main memory.   The integrated video chip will share some of it, leaving you with less to work with.   Not good.

Also, Dell loads the system with lots of bloatware and its best to uninstall those programs you do not need from Dell.

Below will help as well

Stop Unnecessary Startup programs

Below procedure will provide a faster boot up, and eliminate wasting memory on programs that are not in use at this time, and may help gaming……

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/  Fair reading on start up programs

Start up programs: Click on START, Click on Run, than put in the box MSCONFIG Click OK. Now you are in the System Configuration Utility Program. Click on START UP you see on the top of this Utility Program. Uncheck the programs from here that you do not want to start at boot up, leaving the anti virus and any third party firewall alone. You can always go back into this program to restart them. They will not be uninstalled. Click on APPLY, than it will ask you if you wish to reboot the system. Do so. After it boots up again, you will be presented with another window from the System Configuration Utility Program telling you that you have made an adjustment. If you don't want to see this pop up each time you boot up, put a check mark in the little box in the lower left corner of this announcement.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php  Link to a site that can explain what you have starting up, if you do not already know, and which ones you can safely un-check. It’s a long list. Or you can Google Search for what is showing in the Msconfig program, and see what it is...

1.1K Posts

June 13th, 2007 19:00

Why not just add a dedicated video card?

4 Posts

June 13th, 2007 23:00

Ken, Did that driver come with 3D support in the driver? Tonight I installed pre-beta driver and it came with Open GL 3D support. The performance was MUCH better. I will try the driver you suggested tomorrow. I guess this chipset is still under supported somewhat. When I save enough money, I'm going to get a dedicated card. When I first noticed the 3D performance issue, I was kind of bummed out. Now that I know it's a driver issue, I know I can easily hold on until I get a new card. Butch

322 Posts

June 14th, 2007 00:00

I built a Vista machine from scratch with the intent on using the GMA X3000 on board video if it performed ok. On initial bootup with Vista, before installing the Accelerator driver, I could not use Vista aero and only scored a 2.3 video score. After installing the same driver I listed for you, except using the Vista version, my video score jumped to 3.9 and all 3D and aero functions worked fine. For non gaming, this is a much advanced on board video solution than it's predecessors. Here's a good paper on the X3000 (by Intel) and what it is capable of with the correct drivers installed.

I don't know about the beta driver you used but the date on the one I listed is fairly new. Let me know how it works out for you.

Ken

4 Posts

June 15th, 2007 10:00

Ken,
I downloaded the driver you suggested (went right to the link you posted). It installed without coughing and it works about the same as the pre-beta driver. However, I'll use this driver as it's probably a lot more stable than the pre-beta. I probably should let Dell now there's a  better driver out there for that video sysytem. I also read some of Intels data on that chipset. When they get it all ironed out it should be pretty good. I do plan on getting more sysytem ram before upgrading video.

Thanks,
Hlacadie 
No Events found!