Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

June 27th, 2007 13:00

E521 BIOS 1.1.10

Could anyone daring enough to flash their E521 to the new BIOS 1.1.10 please post their success/failures!  Also it didn't say if this release addresses the USB hub issue so if you can verify if this was corrected it would help greatly!  TIA

1.1K Posts

June 27th, 2007 16:00

Updated last nite, no problems. Don't have a usb hub.

1 Message

June 27th, 2007 22:00

Installed OK first time. I have a USB hub attached and it is working fine.

103 Posts

June 28th, 2007 10:00

Reiper wrote:
Could anyone daring enough to flash their E521 to the new BIOS 1.1.10 please post their success/failures!  Also it didn't say if this release addresses the USB hub issue so if you can verify if this was corrected it would help greatly!  TIA

Well I'm not volunteering to try it yet ... :smileywink:
As you say, it doesn't even claim to do anything about the USB hub / hang issue and carries the same "improved flash stability" claims as the now withdrawn 1.1.8.

It would also be helpful to know from those who do choose to risk it, which version of the BIOS they upgraded from ... (the perceived wisdom is that flashes from 1.0.3 tended to be successful while flashes from 1.1.4 tended to end in tears)

5 Posts

June 28th, 2007 16:00

I updated this afternoon, flashed from 1.1.8 to 1.1.10 without problems.

My E521 dual-boots Vista and XP Pro, I chose to flash from XP Pro. I still do not trust Vista 100%.

1 Message

June 28th, 2007 17:00

Upgraded from 1.1.8 yesterday with no issues. No USB hub attached at the time. Vista OS

12 Posts

June 30th, 2007 00:00

Attempted to update from 1.1.4 at Dell support rep's plus supervisor's direction with great reluctance.  The flash appeared to process straight forward.  On reboot you see the BIOS splash screen but the machine subsequently tries to boot PXE style from the NIC and fails, ending with a message that the machine is in manufacturing mode.  Message says press Alt - F to change to normal mode but all it seems to do is reboot and go through the same scenario of trying to boot from the network interface.  Dell can't tell me what to do to exit manufacturing mode so they've dispatched another system board replacement.  This is my first AMD platform machine.  Are AMD platforms this problematic or is it just Dell's implementation of AMD?
Looks like from prior entries that if you go from 1.1.8 to 1.1.10 it works like it should.  Seems like the 1.1.4 BIOS is a real challenge to get off of without trashing the BIOS.  I'd hazard a guess Dell neglected to test updating from 1.1.4.  Quality assurance is looking extremely poor or nonexistant.
If anyone has the magic decoder ring to emerge from manufacturing mode I'm all ears!  Thanks!
Update....
I can manage to load Windows using the F12 boot menu and selecting Bootable hard drive.  Once up in Windows I tried regressing from 1.1.10 back to 1.1.4.  Flash appeared to process normally but upon reboot the splash shows 1.1.4 but it proceeds to load a PXE NIC driver and get out over the NIC which fails and eventually reports being in manufacturing mode again.  Looks as if 1.1.10 changed the format of the CMOS where Dell keeps service tag, asset tag, and other system particulars and prior BIOS levels don't map the data using the same format 1.1.10 planted so either you get to 1.1.10 from 1.1.8 or you're in a pickle going from a pre 1.1.8 level that will take a system board replacement to straighten out.  I would advocate calling Dell prior to trying to update from a pre 1.1.8 level and see what they have to say.
BTW, what compelled this was calling Dell to get an explanation for the first serial ATA controller sharing IRQ 21 with the OpenHCD USB controller when there are unused IRQs available.  The IRQ sharing of the first SATA ctlr and the legacy USB ctlr puts just about all devices using IRQ 21.  Moving the HDD and DVD to the second SATA ctlr, SATA2 and SATA3, which is assigned to IRQ 22 by itself eliminates a lot of the quirks the E521 exhibits.  Lock ups in POST and while running seem to go away.  Dell insisted I get current and the highly credentialed supervisor assured me that would resolve the IRQ assignment (sharing), hence the BIOS update.  Not looking good on the confidence scale.

Message Edited by Opt-e-tech on 06-30-2007 11:04 AM

Message Edited by Opt-e-tech on 06-30-2007 11:41 AM

10 Posts

June 30th, 2007 04:00

If anyone upgrades the BIOS and post the previous version, it will help the other members to prevent to damaging the BIOS and ends up to replace the motherboard. Wish those successful upgrading members post their previous version. Thanks

14 Posts

June 30th, 2007 09:00

Updated the other night.
System still refuses to boot if an SD Card is in the memory card reader,
the progress bar goes to 50%.
The SD card is blank just formatted so no boot information.
In every which way possible the system is told
not to boot from USB. 

Can now also confirm that Using a USB hard drive also makes
it freeze still.  I'm getting fed up of this system.

[Edit] Moved from version 1.1.8

Message Edited by Mr ChriZ on 06-30-2007 08:08 PM

Message Edited by Mr ChriZ on 07-02-2007 06:02 PM

1.1K Posts

June 30th, 2007 18:00

119 Posts

July 2nd, 2007 15:00

Got to v1.1.8 using a 3.5" floppy drive and am NOT going to trust this motherboard to properly apply any future revisions.

As is the system works well and is stable. (Win-XP pro and NOT the Vist-HP it came with.)

Any troubles I might have in the future will result in an order to NewEgg for a proper motherboard and case....

IMHO the e-521 motherboard is a lemon. From the use of one of nVidia's poorer performing chipsets to the inclusion of the sigmatel audio.

59 Posts

July 3rd, 2007 00:00

kpo127 wrote:
Updated last nite, no problems. Don't have a usb hub.

19" UltraSharp LCD Monitor 1907FP

This monitor can be plugged in to a USB port and then has 4 USB ports on it - thus making it a hub.

59 Posts

July 3rd, 2007 03:00

kpo127 wrote:
What point are you making?

Simply that you stated you don't have a USB hub whe in fact you do. As per this definition

"A device that increases the number of USB ports on a PC, typically providing at least four Type A sockets for expansion." and "Hubs can be stand-alone units or built into the monitor, which makes it easier to connect other devices." from

kpo127 wrote:
To me it's not a hub so thanks for the info anyway.

Many people including myself had problems when the monitor was plugged into the USB port thus enabling it as a hub, disconnecting the USB cable allowed the PC to boot correctly.

Thus my statement that you do have a USB hub (ie monitor) and if it is connected it will help to determine if the new bios work correctly, which is all we're really trying to do in this thread I believe.

1.1K Posts

July 3rd, 2007 03:00

Yes I know that. What point are you making? I haven't had the need for more than 6 ports yet. And with the usb issues with the E521 I probably won't use them. To me it's not a hub so thanks for the info anyway.

1.1K Posts

July 3rd, 2007 07:00

Ok, I see. I was assuming to much I guess. Anyway, this is how I flash a bios update.
1. download file, save to desktop
2. disconnect all usb devices except mouse, keyboard, and monitor (but disconnect anything plugged into monitor)
3. close ALL programs (everything:sidebar, etc)
4. disable anti-virus
5. disconnect from the internet (unplug cable from computer)
6. check the weather-power outage during flash will kill the motherboard
7. run the update

4 Posts

July 7th, 2007 09:00

I update my C521 (AMD Athlon 64) BIOS from 1.1.4 to 1.1.10 but the system dont power on, the light in the front is continuly orange.
I still have the Pb
No Events found!