Fing
2 Iron

Re: E521 BIOS 1.1.10

Got to v1.1.8 using a 3.5" floppy drive and am NOT going to trust this motherboard to properly apply any future revisions.

As is the system works well and is stable. (Win-XP pro and NOT the Vist-HP it came with.)

Any troubles I might have in the future will result in an order to NewEgg for a proper motherboard and case....

IMHO the e-521 motherboard is a lemon. From the use of one of nVidia's poorer performing chipsets to the inclusion of the sigmatel audio.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nniixx
2 Iron

kpo127 wrote:
Updated last nite, no problems. Don't have a usb hub.

19" UltraSharp LCD Monitor 1907FP

This monitor can be plugged in to a USB port and then has 4 USB ports on it - thus making it a hub.

0 Kudos
ae38cb5bb8b0410
4 Beryllium

Yes I know that. What point are you making? I haven't had the need for more than 6 ports yet. And with the usb issues with the E521 I probably won't use them. To me it's not a hub so thanks for the info anyway.
0 Kudos
Nniixx
2 Iron

kpo127 wrote:
What point are you making?

Simply that you stated you don't have a USB hub whe in fact you do. As per this definition

"A device that increases the number of USB ports on a PC, typically providing at least four Type A sockets for expansion." and "Hubs can be stand-alone units or built into the monitor, which makes it easier to connect other devices." from

kpo127 wrote:
To me it's not a hub so thanks for the info anyway.

Many people including myself had problems when the monitor was plugged into the USB port thus enabling it as a hub, disconnecting the USB cable allowed the PC to boot correctly.

Thus my statement that you do have a USB hub (ie monitor) and if it is connected it will help to determine if the new bios work correctly, which is all we're really trying to do in this thread I believe.
0 Kudos
ae38cb5bb8b0410
4 Beryllium

Ok, I see. I was assuming to much I guess. Anyway, this is how I flash a bios update.
1. download file, save to desktop
2. disconnect all usb devices except mouse, keyboard, and monitor (but disconnect anything plugged into monitor)
3. close ALL programs (everything:sidebar, etc)
4. disable anti-virus
5. disconnect from the internet (unplug cable from computer)
6. check the weather-power outage during flash will kill the motherboard
7. run the update
0 Kudos
Hassene
1 Copper

I update my C521 (AMD Athlon 64) BIOS from 1.1.4 to 1.1.10 but the system dont power on, the light in the front is continuly orange.
I still have the Pb
0 Kudos
Fing
2 Iron

And yet another failed flash attempt... Contact customer service mate...
0 Kudos
microunit
1 Copper

Sounds like Dell uses their customer as genius pegs to test the BIOS. Each time they put out the new firmware and more mobos failure. They should test out any conditions before release the official copy. I am so scare to upgrade every time the new ones release. I really don't know when the release is reliable to be upgrade. It makes everybody fluctuated. Is it the way they get rid of those old mobos(old version A01 to A02)? My friend got stuck with the old used mobo replacement and he is extremely upset. He is being treated like that over two months still the issue not be resolved. Although the system was charged so cheap they should not handle their business like that. I will foresee they will lost lot of business. Plus their customer care service contract out to India. It is wrong step to approach. They can not help you at all, they are just according their electronics bible to instruct you to resolve your issue. Hopefully they will change their attitude soon.

Message Edited by microunit on 07-07-2007 10:08 PM
0 Kudos
Granouvetter
1 Copper

E521 BIOS 1.1.10 damages Vista's Standby-Mode?

I just updated 2 days ago from 1.1.4 to 1.1.10 without any issues during flashing.

Since then, Vista refuses to suspend itself into standby: Only Screen switches off, but the rest is remaining in power mode. I haven't entered the BIOS ever and use the "dell reconnomendend" energy-saving plan (in vista).

Anyone with same experience or help (better!)?

thanks a lot!!
0 Kudos
Opt-e-Tech
2 Bronze

Re: E521 BIOS 1.1.10 damages Vista's Standby-Mode?

Take a peek in the BIOS and see if ACPI setting is still S3.  Couldn't explain why, but there's a chance it got flipped to S1.
0 Kudos