Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2007 20:00

E521/BIOS Boot Problems: Dell's Position?

I am yet another E521 owner with the BIOS boot-up problem (temporarily resolved by rearranging which devices are plugged into which USB ports).

I'd like to know what Dell's position is regarding this issue (Tech Support will not give cogent reply). Given the many people with this same problem,
- does Dell acknowledge a problem (motherboard/USB or BIOS)?
- was BIOS 1.1.10 supposed to fix this problem (it doesn't)?
- what is Dell's status regarding resolution?

Dimension E521
Windows Vista
RAM: 2GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
BIOS 1.1.10 (successful flash from 1.1.6)

7 Posts

July 24th, 2007 21:00

Spoke again with Dell today.They have issued an RMA & I'll be returning the machine for a refund. Although I was out of the 21 day refund period, Dell acknowledged that this was a known issue with this model and made an exception. I'm very glad that they refunded the $ but now I need to find a reliable machine to replace it with. The tech did say that this was the only model affected but after one flawed machine I donj't know if I'm willing to chance another. Good luck to all that still have this machine.

29 Posts

July 29th, 2007 13:00

When I called Tech support at about 3AM this morning on this problem, they had the nerve to ask me why I flashed the BIOS!!!  Next time I'll remember to check BIOS/driver downloads out here first before installing.
I thought Dell was getting better with customer service but clearly not!

10 Posts

July 29th, 2007 14:00

Vijay2U, did you screw up the BIOS after upgrade? Most of the time the upgrade sends in to suggest you to do that. If there is no problem we should not do any upgrade.

29 Posts

July 29th, 2007 15:00

I was just attempting to keep my computer updated with the latest software changes.
If a BIOS upgrade is recommended, why would you NOT do it?
The question is not why did I flash the BIOS but why DELL posted a new BIOS that was not ready for distribution.  If BIOS upgrades are completely optional then say that, don't say they're recommended!

July 29th, 2007 23:00

Exacta mundo, Vijay2U: smileyvery-happy:

29 Posts

July 30th, 2007 20:00

I fried my E521 MB months ago and had it replaced.  I kept checking for new BIOS versions, but always check here first. 

Sorry for using the unfortunate as guinea pigs....but I did my time. :smileyhappy:

I'm currently at 1.0.3 and have had the 1.1.10 sitting in my Download folder for weeks.  Tempted, but always resisting.

After reading the recent posts, I know that this is my first and last Dell. 

On top of that Vista keeps failing on auto updates, so I've decided to throw caution to the wind and move over to the other side.  I know they have their own problems, but I'm tired of the same problems over and over and I want new ones, if I have to have them at all.

I've been reflecting lately on how fast technology is advancing, all the while quality seems to be decreasing exponentially.  I'm sure Vista will be just peachy in 2 or 3 years...........

Dell keeps building new machines, as the ones we just bought are withering.

Bye Michael.  Bye Bill.  I'm off to greener pastures.  At least till I get to the other side of the fence where they won't be quite so green.........Why hello Mr. Jobs and how are you on this fine day?  Ah, rich as the Queen, yes I thought you might be.  Show me your G5, kind sir.

8 Posts

August 6th, 2007 15:00

I've temporarily stopped this issue occuring by leaving my LaCie external USB 2.0 drive off when I switch the computer on, but it's an annoyance and by no means acceptable. I do hope Dell are really working on a fix.

Message Edited by sjyoung on 08-06-2007 11:44 AM

3 Posts

August 6th, 2007 15:00

They will not give me another motherboard, so I am just going to have a different one installed.  My problem is not with the usb ports though, those work fine.  It is the ram slots that broke when I tried installing new compatible ram.  it came with a gig, and I tried putting in two new 512 sticks, and it totally messed my system up.  Now ram only reads in slot four, thus showing only 512 available when it originally had 1 gig.  That ram did not work with my computer, so I got two new 512 sticks that do, and they only read in slot four not two.  Right now all four sticks are plugged in, but only 512 is reading in slot four, and I updated bios and everything else and still the same problem, so I am just getting a new motherboard installed.  Any ideas or comments?

124 Posts

December 4th, 2007 04:00

I was surprised when I flashed (from a bootable floppy) to the latest 1.1.11 version, which is supposed to fix the boot problem, that it did not affect the issue at all. Still can't boot when the ext USB HD is plugged in and powered on. Can't even get into the BIOS at that point.

Are any of you in the same boat now?
No Events found!