Tony Little
1 Copper

Re: E521 Bios update is faulty

I will have to call them tomorrow. If I am still on warranty will they replace it or am I out of luck from that stand point?

Message Edited by Tony Little on 02-09-2007 02:04 AM
0 Kudos
Majestic
5 Rhenium

Tony, bad BIOS flashes are warranty covered.  You can check your warranty by clicking here and entering your Service Tag number.  The Service Contracts and Warranties tab will report the current status of your warranty coverage.
0 Kudos
pvandenhouten
1 Nickel

Is there any news on when a new BIOS version will be available?
0 Kudos
Majestic
5 Rhenium

pvandenhouten wrote:
Is there any news on when a new BIOS version will be available?

Dell doesn't announce when or if they're going to be releasing an update.  They just appear in the Dell File Library. 

With that said there is one person that stops into this forum from time to time and always seems to have a little tidbit of "inside" information on future BIOS releases.  I suspect he or she is a Dell employee as there are few that visit the forum here.  Hopefully the person will stop in and join the discussion.
0 Kudos
Nniixx
1 Nickel

So the technician rang me at 9.01am today and said "will you be home today" and I said that my wife would be.

He said "I'll be there between 1pm and 3 pm".

At 1.30pm he rings me and says "how late can I come there" and when I say "that's up to you", he says "I'll be there at 3.30pm".

According to my wife he turned up at 5.30pm.

She said he hardly spoke English, was rude and seemed like he didn't have a clue.

When she asked him if we would lose any data he said "I don't know, hopefully not" - that was my worst fear that he would wipe the drives or something.

He called me on my mobile at 6.00pm whilst I was on the bus and said "Did you have Windows98 on your PC becuase it's hanging".

I say "No, that's on the 2nd drive and I can't get it to install it just hangs. XP is on the first drive".

He says "OK I'll change the drive boot sequence in the BIOS". So basically he's reconnected the drives in the wrong order, luckily they are SATA.

When I got home at about 6.15pm he'd left.

The PC was on and in XP

After helping getting our boys to bed, I logged on and immediately notice that my card reader was not showing up - I shutdown, opened the box and saw that the cable was left unconnected at one end.

I swapped the HD cables around whilst I was in there and got into the BIOS which is now back at 1.0.03 and swapped the HD boot sequence back.

Happy days.

Ironically tonight the Dell Support program has popped up a window telling me there's a BIOS update I should download.

ROTFLMAO Dell that's toooooooooooooooooooo funny.
0 Kudos
arbeitstier
1 Nickel

I've got a new Dell C521. There's the same problem: the keyboard doesn't get power. And it's even worse: there's no way to get the power switched on during the "F2-time". I should problably also downgrade to an older BIOS version. /Bernd
0 Kudos
arbeitstier
1 Nickel

next part of the story: I've "downgraded" to 1.0.3 as done by that Dell technician. Result was that the machine couldn't find the boot device any more. So I wiped out the CMOS ram in the hope that the default settings might work. However, now the computer enters always the BIOS setup and waits for a keystroke to continue which will never come because the power of the keyboard is still off. No matter when/where I plug it in. So, basically I've got the BIOS setup on my new 19" monitor forever because the keyboard doesn't get power... /Bernd
0 Kudos
Majestic
5 Rhenium

Bernd, I'm assuming that you gave Dell a call.  If you didn't, now would be a good time.
0 Kudos
arbeitstier
1 Nickel

Majestic wrote: Bernd, I'm assuming that you gave Dell a call. If you didn't, now would be a good time. That's what they wrote and my reply (let's see what's happening). Seems so that I have to by a nice miniATX motherboard instead and replace it with that one from Dell... We'll see what's happening. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The problem has been the same with the new and the old BIOS. As you know there hasn't been a new BIOS available so the only option was to downgrade it (and it is in the list of recommended BIOSes anyway). However, that the system hangs is NOT due to the BIOS version but due to the fact that the keyboard is not recognised. I have caused this by wiping out the CMOS content which now forces the setup screen. Thus, I would like to have this fixed free of charge. Regards /Bernd Porr uki_customer_care wrote: > Dear Dell Customer > > Thank you for your reply. > > If the system is still going to the Bios then it is a problem with the system setup. > > Bios's are supposed to be updated not downgraded. > The Dell forum is not always recommended by Dell as anyone can post on it and the information is not always correct. > > As the problem is with the Bios it would require the motherboard to be replaced. > Because the problem was caused by 'downgrading' the bios it will not be covered under the warranty of the system. > > We can book an out of warranty repair for you for a replacment motherboard. > You would then be contacted within 48 hours with a quote for the repair. > > If you would like me to book this for you then please reply with your address details and contact phone numbers. > > Regards > xxxx xxxx > Dell E-Support > Dimension/Inspiron >

Message Edited by arbeitstier on 02-26-2007 07:55 AM
0 Kudos
arbeitstier
1 Nickel

Sent also this because I've realised that my last e-mail could be misunderstood: -------------------------------- Just to add that with a "new" motherboard the same problem will be back, namely that the keyboard won't work. So, in other words I would have the same problem as before. I don't want to have a new motherboard but have it fixed so that F2 is recognised during boot time. Regards /Bernd Porr --------------------------------
0 Kudos