Majestic
5 Rhenium

Re: E521 Bios update is faulty

Thanks for getting a clarification Chris.  I will definately have to change the way I advise folks on BIOS updates.

Since Dell is taking this position of not warranty covering unsupervised BIOS flashes, is there a way to stop folks from receiving that BIOS update notification?

Message Edited by Majestic on 02-28-2007 06:52 AM
0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Majestic
5 Rhenium

Chris, thanks for looking into it!

I can see this becoming a big headache as more and more folks want to upgrade to Windows Vista.  So far we have seen a few postings where a BIOS update was recommended by the Dell Vista Upgrade Advisor as well.
0 Kudos

All,

If you experienced this failure of the bios update, please provide me with the following information in a private message, not on the board -
Name:
Shipping address:
Phone:
Service tag number:
Reason: Bios update through Dell Support Tool failed
0 Kudos
firstdue398
1 Nickel

I have a brand new E521 with the newer bios.  I have several external hard drives connected to the rear usb ports.  It hangs on boot up at the DELL BIOS screen. It has the newest bios right now.  Am I reading this post correctly that Dell recommends flashing back to the earlier Bios to resolve this issue?
0 Kudos

From day one my E521 would hang periodically with the bar going only half way. I just shut it off and restart and it has never failed the second time. It has done it with the original BIOS and the latest BIOS. So if the BIOS causes it, it is in both versions, Personally I would not dare flash a new BIOS with the help of Dell support. I have not yet figured out their language. But I am trying.
0 Kudos
Majestic
5 Rhenium

firstdue398 wrote:
I have a brand new E521 with the newer bios.  I have several external hard drives connected to the rear usb ports.  It hangs on boot up at the DELL BIOS screen. It has the newest bios right now.  Am I reading this post correctly that Dell recommends flashing back to the earlier Bios to resolve this issue?

In light of this new information regarding the warranty coverage, if you plan on following Chris's recommendations, I would call Dell Tech Support and have them walk you through the flash back procedure.  At least that way if things go bad you will be covered from a warranty aspect.
0 Kudos
arbeitstier
1 Nickel

Dear Chris,
I've got an e-mail from the UK support and they ask me to flash to version 1.1.4. However, this version is also a version which does not detect the keyboard at boot time. Can you please advise me which version I should flash. I've connected a floppy drive to my machine and it boots nicely without keyborard intervention MSDOS. So I can start now via AUTOEXEC.BAT a BIOS flash.
Thanks
Regards
/Bernd Porr

Dear Mr Porr Please see the link below for the 1.1.4 Bios update:
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R142795&SystemID=DIM_P4_C521&os=BIOSA&osl=en&deviceid=308&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=4&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=190570 There are instructions on the bottom which give instructions on how to run this.
Regards Bxxx Mxxx
Dell E-Support Dimension/Inspiron
Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Dear Bxxx,
can you please advise me which BIOS version I have to install. Here is a recent posting from one of your colleagues: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_bios&message.id=51683#M51683 He recommends to flash the version 1.1.2 which will (hopefully) enable the keyboard again at boot time. I've got a bootable DOS disk now and can boot with that image however I cannot type. Does the BIOS flash need any user interaction? I'm asking because I have to start it from the autoexec.bat.
Regards
/Bernd Porr

Message Edited by arbeitstier on 03-02-2007 06:54 AM
0 Kudos
arbeitstier
1 Nickel

Hi! Should I do the same with my or use 1.1.4 as suggested by my UK support? ------------------------------------------------------------------- Tony Little, Flash down to bios 1.1.2 to attempt to restore the PC. The C521 System Setup must have these settings - USB Controller = On Rear Dual USB0 = On Rear Dual USB1 = On Front USB = On ------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards /Bernd Porr
0 Kudos
arbeitstier
1 Nickel

I've obeyed Chris' warning and asked here in the forum and also my support people which version I should flash. Reply: none!

So I've tried first version 1.1.2 (flashed with a floppy) as suggested by "Dell" Chris in this forum. Result: keyboard doesn't work.

Then I've flashed to 1.1.4 which is the version which has been suggested by the UK tech support and which was on the PC when it was delivered to me. Result: keyboard doesn't work. A newer version is not available.

Now the system reports that I've got an "invalid configuration" information and that it askes me to press F1 and F2 to run the setup. However, because the keyboard is still not working, I cannot enter the setup and I'm stuck with that screen. Same story as before.

A newer BIOS version is not available so basically every C521 on the market has got this problem and there's no fix to it which means that it's not possible to boot from CD with that machine, to install Vista from CD or to install any other operating system.

I could buy a new motherboard from Dell which I have to pay for which has the same keyboard bug which wouldn't change anything.

/Bernd
0 Kudos