Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

June 18th, 2007 03:00

E521 - Noisy system?

Hi there! My E521 seems rather loud compared to other computers. I got the system standing under my desk and the whole desk is vibrating from the computer and a very low humming sound can be heard, which produces a weird feeling in the ear. Any other E521 owners out there who can verify that the system is rather loud and does vibrate very heavy?

1.1K Posts

June 18th, 2007 04:00

Did you put in a new video card like you were asking about the other day?

45 Posts

June 18th, 2007 18:00

I know it sounds lame, but, join the club. Now that doesn't mean just take it. Call support and voice your concern. They should be aware of the problem now, after dealing with me for over 6 weeks(late Jan - mid Mar).

There have been numerous posts on the non-quiet precision of e520, e521, 9200 and the 410. Some trying to help, others with un-helpful things like "noise is subjective", which is true but totally useless in helping solve the problem. My 9200(which if you do a search for my posts, is a bane to my peace and quiet) is what I would consider quite loud for a computer of it's ability and cost. Especially coupled with the fact that it was advertised as "Raw Power, Quiet Precision". Also, I built a low-end gameing computer shortly before purchaseing the 9200, and while it wasn't deadly quiet, it put the 9200 to shame. But I did hand-pick the components with silence in mind. I should have got a "decibel at peak/normal state" rateing for the 9200, but I didn't, my bad.

My 6+ weeks of dealing with customer service on the noise problem, got me: a new computer shipped to me, and the old new computer shipped back within a week of arrival, 5 seperate tech support people, all of whom, were courteous and pledged to help me with my concern, but none could(and 2 tried to tell me it was normal until I told them I have built quieter machines and then seemed stuck), 2 call-out technicians, the first of which basically changed the harddrive cage, sympathized on the problem and left and the second who spent 5 hours and a trip to the local comp store and a carpet store to try and resolve the problem and finally voiced the opinion that the design seemed flawed and almost invited chassis vibration noise, but don't quote him on that, and finally a nice supervisor(who's name I cannot say due to forum rules, but he would be a great help to anyone with similar problems) who bought me off/resolved the problem, with an upgrade to an 8800GTX and assurances that any other problems, I could talk straight to him.

So I wish you luck, try and get to a supervisor ASAP and would suggest getting a peice of underlay and carpet to place under the computer, on you desk. It doesn't stop the noise but it softens the desk vibration. I have mine sitting on the carpet beside my desk at the moment, with plans to acquire a new desk with an enclosure that I can lay some sound dampening materials.

I should note that my noise problems are compounded by the fact that I have 2 raptor drives in raid(it was originally 2 7200rpm in raid but they ninja-upgraded me on the second computer I received, which is great, but I wish I would have realized that BEFORE loading the drives up for the second time, I would have ditched the raid and made one a ghost image) and they chunk something feirce at times. So I get the chunk and the hum, but the hum is ever present and ever annoying.

Ian

1.1K Posts

June 18th, 2007 19:00

I'm sorry for the troubles you're having with your system, and did not mean to minimize the origional poster's situation. But the poster in question had inquired previously about installing a 7900GS video card in their system. Installing a new card might be the root of the problem, as well as the fact that that particular card with the current drivers available make the card's fan noise loud. I hope you can solve your issue.

9 Posts

June 19th, 2007 06:00

When I call tech support and they decide that something has to be done, do they come to my house or do I have to send the computer to them? Right now the E521 is the only system in my house and if I have to send it back and don´t have a computer here, I have a very big problem. It´s really weird that the noise seems to come and go, sometimes it´s not there and then again it´s really distracting.

1.1K Posts

That's weird. When I had the 7300LE I couldn'd hear mine at all. The 8600GT's fan I can hear, but it's still quiet.
I would call and see what can be done. Are you still under 21 days? If your real close call, email, and even do a chat session to get some documentation so Dell is aware of your situation.

Message Edited by kpo127 on 06-19-2007 03:26 AM

9 Posts

No, the video card is not the problem, the system was loud and vibrating before and after the installation of the graphicscard. The situation the third poster described is exactly what is the problem with the pc. The whole desk is vibrating, when the pc is running, sometimes more, sometimes less. Also I get a weird feeling in my ears, when the pc is running most of the time. I couldn´t believe it and went to my brothers who both have a similar pc in specs and both of their systems do run very quiet and don´t vibrate at all. So when I call the tech support the chances of resolving the problem seems to be minimal, when considering the third poster and that is really a shame.

9 Posts

June 19th, 2007 09:00

Ok, so a little update. I put a carpet under the desktop, as the third poster suggested and I believe that helped a lot! I don´t have any vibrations anymore and the weird feeling in the ears has vanished. I just hope that this is not temporary. Well I also contacted Dell via eMail and told them about the problem.

2 Posts

June 19th, 2007 14:00

Hi,

I just want you to know that I have the same problem. I am currently working with one of Dell's managers that is trying to resolve my problem. He has sent ( 2 ) techs to the house. They have replaced every moving part in my machine. It still hums. The Dell manager said that he would continue to research my problem and reassured me of his continued help. He gave me his phone number so that I could continue to stay in touch with him. I believe that Dell will do the right thing.

9 Posts

June 20th, 2007 09:00

That´s good to know. I just hope that they will find a solution for this. For now, the trick with the carpet under the desktop is the best thing to do.

2 Posts

June 21st, 2007 12:00

I am concerned about my next purchase. Will the manufacturer supply a piece of carpet and mention that you might need this?
No Events found!