2 Bronze

E521 Upgrades

I have finally finished my list of upgrades that I want to mkae. So I have a few questions. First, will PCI Express X16 2.0 grpahics cards work in a PCI Express X16 1.0 slot and will there be a performance downgrade? After this question is answered I have a few others.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
9 Rhodium

Re: E521 Upgrades

joe68

Yes, it is backwards compatible to PCIe x16 1.0.

Bev.

Ps. A hint, it helps members to include the computer model and version of windows in the message.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

thank you for the answer. Also would the performance of the card suffer? My next question is can you mix another brand of memory with the memory already installed in the Dell PC?

My PC: Dell Dimension E521, Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.2Ghz, 1GB DDR2 533Mhz memory, ATI Radeon X1300PRO graphics card.

As I mentioned I am planning on upgrading this PC with a different processor, more memory, and a new video card.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

joe68

No, there should be little or no performance difference between the two.

Yes, you can use different brands of memory, but the new memory must be the same specifications of the memory that's already installed.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Thank you very much. I have one last question. Will an 89W Athlon 64 X2 6000+ work in my PC?

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Thank you very much. I have one last question. Will an 89W Athlon 64 X2 6000+ work in my PC?

Yes, it should.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I thought of one more question. Will the video card I want use work in the PC and will it fit. I am concerned about the length and I cannot seem to find the length of the card anywhere on the internet. Thank you for your help. Here is a link to the video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102804

0 Kudos