Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2010 07:00

E521 reassembling the processor fan

Hello, I finished thoroughly blowing away the dust inside my PC but now cannot replace the heat sink & fan shroud assembly.

There are thousands of tiny pins that need to mate with a holed plastic piece on the motherboard.  When I rock the shroud assy back to seat it and screw it in, the pins do not align with the plastic "female" piece.  I've bent some of the pins in my various attempts.  I straighten them between attempts with a needle.  Does anyone know how to replace this assembly without crushing the pins?  Such a poor design!!

My PC will not boot up without this shroud assy properly installed.

HELP

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 18th, 2010 08:00

What has apparently happened is, when you loosened/removed the shrowd assembly you pulled the CPU out of the socket as it is apparently stuck to the bottom of the heatsink.  I don't recall "thousands of tiny pins" but the CPU is what comes to mind.

Assuming it is the CPU, you are going to have to remove the CPU from the bottom of the heatsink (may take a putty knife and VERY CAREFULLY pry it off of the bottom of the heatsink).  You will then need to clean the old heatsink compound from the top of the CPU and the bottom of the CPU.  straighten whatever pins have been bent, reinstall the CPU.  Then install new heatsink compound to the top of the CPU, according to the heatsink compound's instructions (different compounds have different instructions).  Then you can position the shrowd assembly over the CPU and clamp it down.

HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

is the Dell manual and it details replacing the CPU and the heatsink/shrowd assembly.

All of this assumes nothing has been damaged (CPU or motherboard) beyond repair.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 18th, 2010 08:00

jonib18

Are you refering to the processor pins?

If you are, the processor is 'Keyed' to be installed only way, to avoid permanent damage to the processor .

The procedure for installing the e521 processor and heat sink is HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Note: Bending the pins can permanently damage the processor.

As you intend to reuse the heatsink, plan on cleaning it's base and applying thermal compound to the processor.

Directions for cleaning and applying thermal compound, are HERE.

You only need a small tube of thermal compound, this can be purchased from any computer store.

Bev.

8 Posts

April 18th, 2010 11:00

Wow -- I never thought of what you proposed here:  that I pulled the CPU out of the socket!   This makes perfect sense now.

I called Dell support but they didn't recognized, as you have, that I pulled the CPU out with the heat sink.  Seems obvious now.

Thanks so much for your help!  "Good job" (to you, not to me!)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 18th, 2010 12:00

jonib18

Good luck.

Bev.

729 Posts

April 29th, 2010 09:00

As you said those diagnostics are memory issue.  According to the Dell manual:

• If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module, and then restart the computer.
  • If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.
  • Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer.
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell (see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual).

I'm assuming your computer is no longer under warranty so if you find a faulty module you'll have to purchase a replacement.  A highly recommended company is crucial.com.  Also remember modules must be paired together for best performance.

8 Posts

April 29th, 2010 09:00

Thank you for your help with my problem.  I would not have known to purchase thermal compound.  I've got the CPU back in place... now I'm getting memory errors!  3 & 4 light (1 long beep; 2 short beeps).  It sees my memory cards, but has a problem with them.  I don't know why the memory has gone bad! 

I've checked all wiring connections -- they're sound.  Any suggestions is much appreciated!  In the meantime, I'll check out this site for suggestions.

Thanks again for your time and knowlege. They are much appreciated.

8 Posts

April 29th, 2010 11:00

Hi, I tried step one - failure.  I took memory from another system and the PC worked, so my memory cards (2 x 512MB) must have gotten blown somehow.  (I tried one alone, then the other, then the bad ones with good memory, etc.).  I know the orig. memory is shot.

My question is:  what did you mean by "modules must be paired together for best performance"?

I ordered (1) new 1G memory card from Crucial (as a matter of fact), instead of (2) 512M -- will it matter?

729 Posts

April 29th, 2010 14:00

DDR2 memory runs best if two identical modules are paired together.  This is called dual channel.  If you install single or odd number of modules your memory will run in what's call single channel.  The difference is the performance of the memory.  Dual channel mode runs better than single channel mode.  As a user you probably won't see much of a difference so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

No Events found!