Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2017 12:00

EVGA 1050 TI Gamer (not SC) install in a Dell Inspiron 3650.

I have a Inspiron 3650 with i7 6700 2tb HD EVO 500GB ssd 16GB ram and an R9 360.  I just purchased an EVGA Gamer 1050 TI graphics card.  This is not the SC model.  I'm trying to improve it's gaming chops.

Could somebody tell me(in detail) what software should be removed/uninstalled, how it should be removed , and in what order.  When and how the graphics cards should be swapped and finally the installation of the GTX 1050 TI and it's proper drivers.  Please be as detailed as possible because I love this computer and just want to do this properly so it continues to perform flawlessly with a little more gameability.  I've never swapped out a graphics card before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Tom

8 Posts

August 8th, 2017 14:00

I did forget to mention the 1050 has 4GB of vram if that's important.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 8th, 2017 14:00

About the only way you're going to run that card is by using an external power supply with an adapter to connect to the Dell mainboard - the stock power supply isn't going to run it properly -- and nothing else will fit inside the case.  You'll need a standard power supply and to route an adapter cable inside the system to feed the proprietary mainboard connector:

www.moddiy.com/.../Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24%2dPin-to-8%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

Once that's done, uninstall the existing video drivers before you shut down to install the card.  Then install the new drivers once the card is in place.

8 Posts

August 8th, 2017 15:00

From what I've read, the R9 360 is a bit more power hungry than the 1050, which led me to believe it could be accomplished with the stock power supply.  If this doesn't work, I'll upgrade the power supply.  Although, if I do that, I'll get a 1060.

The device manager shows AMD audio driver.  Should that be left alone/

Thanks, so much for your reply....

8 Posts

August 8th, 2017 15:00

Finally, if I so upgrade the power supply, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks again!

2.3K Posts

August 8th, 2017 16:00

PS, the PSU is not up-gradable unless they figured out the super small PSU form factor?

2.3K Posts

August 8th, 2017 16:00

I have that same card and it doesn't require a 4 pin or 8 pin external power connector AS LONG as its the small form factor version and not the dual fan version.  If its the SFF version he should be fine with what he has.  In terms of software to uninstall you will want to uninstall the AMD graphics drivers that came with the 390 first before doing anything, then install the Nvidia card and let windows do its thing.  You might want to download the latest drivers from nvidia first and install them as windows will install drivers that are a few months old.  

8 Posts

August 10th, 2017 09:00

Well, I swapped out the card last night.  The only hitch was the control panel uninstall would not remove the R9 360 display or audio drivers. I removed them successfully through the device manager, then manually deleted all instances of AMD or related product software or drivers.

Downloaded the latest nvidia drivers for the EVGA 1050 TI before swapping the cards, swapped the cards, and then executed the driver installation with no problems.  I then gave my son(Mr Gamer) the com and he tweaked the card and told me that my 3Dmark improved from 3438 (with the R9) to 7011(with the EVGA 1050 TI) on Firestrike at 1080p.  I have no idea what this means, but he was pleased.  It looks to me like this $144.00 card doubled my performance.....nice. It even came with a full version of  a game called Rocket League.

He then gamed intensively at 1080p and ultra settings with no apparent problems for about 3.5 hours.  He said CPU and GPU temperatures remained consistently good and performance across the board remained stable. I did add a case fan.

I'm happy and I'd like to sincerely thank everyone who participated in helping me accomplish this.  It looks like I have an "OK" gaming computer now.....awesome!

Thanks again

Tom

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 10th, 2017 10:00

There is an Ugly hack that allows PSU upgrade.  Its called take internal power supply out and use a MODDIY 24 pin to 8 Pin adapter cable and run the wires to the inside thru the hole left by removing the internal power supply.

Suitable for Dell OptiPlex 3020 / 7020 / 9020 /

Precision T1700

Inspiron 3650

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-Inspiron-3650-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%2830cm%29.html

People have been able to make it into a gaming system with a fair GPU.

Even Austin however does not recommend this system for a gaming platform.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Radeon-Windforce-Graphics-GV-RX460WF2OC-4GD/dp/B01K1JVCRE/

No Events found!