Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 03-31-2014 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Error 0xc0000034

I have a newly purchased Dell Inspiron 660s with Windows 8 preloaded. After the initial boot and loading Windows Updates (which required a reboot), the machine boots to a blue screen with the following information.

Your PC needs to be repaired.

The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.

File:\BCD

Error code: 0xc0000034

The retail purchased package did not come with a Windows 8 CD or a recovery disk so it seems my "toolbox" is limited. Any help in revitalizing my machine would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm also having the same problem today.

View solution in original post

Replies (13)
5 Rhenium

Hi birtcn,

Is the computer booting into windows?

If yes, you mat try to do a factory reset with out using the disks. Refer the following link which has steps to do a factory reset:

http://bit.ly/TLZ9mS

Follow instructions under “To reset your PC.

If you are not able to boot into Windows, try to restart the computer for 4 times and then it would come up with an option of “Advanced Startup options menu”.

Then follow the steps in the link to do a system restore:

http://bit.ly/TSX95L

If the issue persists, Kindly private message the order number so that I can take the case forward. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

10 Diamond

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

An unexpected error has occurred.

Error code: 0xc0000034

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media.

If you don't have any installation media contact your system administrator

or PC manufacturer.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Rajesh,

Thank you for your quick response.

My machine is not booting into Windows. Therefore, I tried the multiple restart to get to the "Advanced Startup options menu". Unfortunately I wasn't able to execute this step. After multiple hard boots (i.e., turning the machine on then off while the Dell logo displays early in the boot sequence), I still landed out with a blue screen and the same error code. Am I missing something in getting the the Advanced Startup Options menu? (This is embarrassing as it seems a rather straightforward process!)

Thanks again for you help.

cnb

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm also having the same problem today.

10 Diamond

What happens if you turn Secure Boot off in BIOS setup? (Reboot and press F2 before Windows starts to load.)

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

5 Rhenium

Hi birtcn,

As SpeedStep correctly mentioned, you may need to use the recovery tool.

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hey Rajesh, 

Would you mind helping me out with this same issue?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I ended up returning the machine with the problem to the retailer for a full refund.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

How would I go about doing the same?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor