Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2013 06:00

Error 0xc0000034

I have a newly purchased Dell Inspiron 660s with Windows 8 preloaded. After the initial boot and loading Windows Updates (which required a reboot), the machine boots to a blue screen with the following information.

Your PC needs to be repaired.

The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.

File:\BCD

Error code: 0xc0000034

The retail purchased package did not come with a Windows 8 CD or a recovery disk so it seems my "toolbox" is limited. Any help in revitalizing my machine would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Message

July 3rd, 2013 14:00

I'm also having the same problem today.

3.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi birtcn,

Is the computer booting into windows?

If yes, you mat try to do a factory reset with out using the disks. Refer the following link which has steps to do a factory reset:

http://bit.ly/TLZ9mS

Follow instructions under “To reset your PC.

If you are not able to boot into Windows, try to restart the computer for 4 times and then it would come up with an option of “Advanced Startup options menu”.

Then follow the steps in the link to do a system restore:

http://bit.ly/TSX95L

If the issue persists, Kindly private message the order number so that I can take the case forward. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 10:00

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

An unexpected error has occurred.

Error code: 0xc0000034

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media.

If you don't have any installation media contact your system administrator

or PC manufacturer.

4 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 04:00

Rajesh,

Thank you for your quick response.

My machine is not booting into Windows. Therefore, I tried the multiple restart to get to the "Advanced Startup options menu". Unfortunately I wasn't able to execute this step. After multiple hard boots (i.e., turning the machine on then off while the Dell logo displays early in the boot sequence), I still landed out with a blue screen and the same error code. Am I missing something in getting the the Advanced Startup Options menu? (This is embarrassing as it seems a rather straightforward process!)

Thanks again for you help.

cnb

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 18:00

What happens if you turn Secure Boot off in BIOS setup? (Reboot and press F2 before Windows starts to load.)

3.3K Posts

July 4th, 2013 08:00

Hi birtcn,

As SpeedStep correctly mentioned, you may need to use the recovery tool.

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

4 Posts

October 14th, 2013 15:00

How would I go about doing the same?

4 Posts

Hey Rajesh, 

Would you mind helping me out with this same issue?

4 Posts

I ended up returning the machine with the problem to the retailer for a full refund.

4 Posts

October 16th, 2013 04:00

1. Repack the machine into the original packaging.
  2. Return, along with original receipt of purchase, to retailer where purchased.

Note that each retailer has its own return policy.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 16th, 2013 12:00

How would I go about doing the same?

@Durzika  - According to your thread, you purchased your system in Jan'13, so I don't know if any retailer is going to take back a system that old.

Not saying you shouldn't try, but your best bet may be to get the Win 8 Reinstallation media from Dell, wipe the hard drive, and start over. Yes, it's a pain, but that should get things working again.

7 Posts

October 30th, 2013 06:00

I have a question about re-installing Win 8.  I am trying to do it right now and having issues.  The HD in the factory setup had multiple partitions, OS, System, Recovery...  When you say "wipe the hard drive" does that mean wipe all the partitions or clean the whole drive?  As of now I have formatted the OS partition and then tried to re-install from the Dell disk to that partition but it is failing.  I have an original recovery image as well but I am trying to install to a new SSD which I did have running well a few days ago.  I would rather not go back to the original recovery as it requires going back to the regular HD.

March 31st, 2014 14:00

Hi, Rest the computer is the worst what I should do. There must be another method to solve this problem. Today I have get this bad blue screen on my Inspiron 7720: Recovery The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information. File: \BCD Error Code: 0xc0000034 You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer. !!!! And I have no Win 8 DVD.....I have tried with hiren boot CD but the problem is that I cannot use any function keys, thus no F9 or 12 or whatever ....DELL should do something about this, otherwise it will lose a lot of customers. Regards, Brainstreamer.
No Events found!