Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2016 09:00

Error Code 2000-0142; Validation 68442

Hello,

My computer recently just stopped booting. It is stuck on the black screen Dell Logo with no spinning dot wheel. From reading many discussions on this problem I ran the Diagnostics and received this information:

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 68442

Msg: Hard Drive 0-S/N Z1E2VDJC, Short self test unsuccessful

My computer info is:

Dell XPS One 2710, Windows 10, no longer under warranty

If you need any other info just let me know and where to find that info.

From reading the forums, I was unable to get a clear answer on what I should do. I know that the Hard drive will likely need to be replaced. But did read that it could be fixed using the original OS disc and boot from there. Also, I read that it could be an electrical issue where the cord into the hard drive might be the only thing bad. I am not that computer savvy so I apologize in advance for all the noob questions. I appreciate all the help! 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 15th, 2016 19:00

Probably need to replace the hard drive after that error code.

Sure hope your files are backed up on external media.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 16th, 2016 08:00

If the diagnostics show the drive to be failing, you may be able to boot to another specific utility such as a Seagate drive checker, if you want.  It may only confirm what the Dell diagnostics are showing and some of those tests require the drive to be wiped so be careful.

Luckily, I suppose, Windows 10 can be installed cleanly after you have once activated it on that machine.  If you haven't backed up your system you may want to keep the current drive to see if you can pull anything from it.  Using the current drive to reinstall an original OS will probably not work after Windows 10 has been installed.

Replacing the drive is not that hard.  You can get the owner's manual which gives instructions as to how to get to it to replace.  If you need help with that let us know.  After replacing you can use an external caddy to access the drive if it is possible to do so.

If you wanted to go back to Windows 8, if that was your original OS, you may be able to get recovery media from Dell.

6 Posts

March 16th, 2016 12:00

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the help. I think I could give replacing the HD myself a shot. Would you be able to help with that? What tools and equipment I should purchase. And what the next steps after installation I would need to do to make sure everything is running smoothly.

I appreciate all the help!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 09:00

You would start by downloading the Owner's manual and see if you can follow how to access the hard drive slot. 

You have to remove the back cover and then the Stand.  After that the hard drive replacement would be straight forward.

After you replace the drive you then need to reinstall an OS.  With Windows 10 you can download the image and put it on a flash drive or DVD.  You need to know if your system is UEFI or MBR.  If it came with Windows 8 is it probably UEFI.  The flash drive would need to be configured as FAT32 since NTFS doesn't work with UEFI.bootable devices.

No Events found!