Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2008 13:00

Error Occurred (0) Raid-1, Both Drives GONE?? No Way. BIOS sees both drives. Seeking troubleshooting thoughts.

I've googled here there any everywhere...

So I can't boot into the OS, and there must be some kind of utility that I can't seem to find that will let me check what is really going on.

My system locked up, so I had to hard reboot. Upon return, no bootable drives detected.

I'm set up as RAID-1

Port 0, Type/Status reads: Error Occurred (0)
Port 1, Type/Status reads: Error Occurred (0)

No way I lost two drives (OK, really unlikely).

I'm thinking something is marked as dirty and I can't figure out how to reset the error (like there must be a bootable version of Intel® Matrix Storage Manager)

The drives show up in the Systems BIOS, though the BIOS sez Bootable HD is not present.

Tried both Auto-detect and On under RAID detection.

Dell Diagnostics (non-interactive) currently running and is currently testing first of the two drives (quick test past, now doing the read test)

I do not want to rest the RAID in the hopes of getting the drives back and losing the data (just yet).

Anythoughts on how to save the data or return the drives to service?

TIA
Message Edited by atangel on 02-16-2008 09:41 AM
Message Edited by atangel on 02-16-2008 09:43 AM

4 Posts

My XPS420 has raid 0 and I got an 'error occurred(0)' on the second of the two drives. Called Dell they got me to recreate the raid losing all my data and then reload the operating system Vista.  the reloading just sat there and eventually the support guy said that he would arrange replacement drives.  No phone call so I phoned Dell back and this time they got me to run diagnostics (full) on the drives.  After about 12 hours this finished with no errors!!  Tried to reload Vista and this time it worked fine - so all now okay (fingers crossed).  I suppose that passing the diagnostics reset something.  Since then I have applied all of the Dell driver etc. updates.

807 Posts

The good news is that you went with RAID 1. The steps that I would take are:

1) Remove one of the drives, set the BIOS to autodetect and try to boot.

2) If no boot, swap the drives and try to boot.

3) If no boot, try both drives (one at a time) on a different machine to see if they'll boot.

4) If no boot, Dell Support time.

5 Posts

February 16th, 2008 15:00

I have the same problem with my XPS420.
Dell support is completely useless with this problem. They are trying to resolve it for about 2 months now.
I've run the diagnostics full system test twice, rebuid the Raid, reinstall Vista, TWICE....
I even emailed Intel ( they recon that it is a hardware problem)
So what I learned so far is:
- rebuid raid doesn't help - after a week or so I have the Error Occured message in the raid configuration screen again...
- reinstall Vista with latest drivers....as above
- system pass all of the diagnostics tests
- Dell support doesn't belive you if you say you have done something before they tell you to do it.
- Error Occured message appears next to drive 0, 1, or both....

I'm running the test again for the last time, when it will pass (and I know it will) I'll ask Dell to give me my money back or send me new system (not 420)

20 Posts

February 16th, 2008 16:00

Thanks guys...

I went raid 1 for redundancy... hopefully it will pay off.

Yep... was afraid I was going to have to play one drive at a time... seems to me a bootable CD or Utility for the Maxtor is in order. Was hoping someone knew of one when I couldn't find it...

Will be back later to check the thread and also update with any news.

This error with Raid-0 seems to be all over the place (something about iTunes), but they were all able to get into Windows to repair the issue... :smileyhappy: but for raid-1, nothing seems to come back (hey, someone has to be nearly first :smileymad:

btw, the diagnostic is still running, first drive passed read test and is now somewhere well withing the seek test (meaning fer sure the system can see and access at least one of my drives).

Message Edited by atangel on 02-16-2008 12:28 PM

20 Posts

February 16th, 2008 18:00

Think I may be hosed... googling again for offline member and recover options..

Neither drive will boot (and tried them both in their regular ports and both at port 0, and both at port 1)

Resat the cables, and not get

Port 0, Type/Status reads: Error Occurred (0)
Port 1, Type/Status reads: Offline memeber.

According to the BIOS, it isn't bootable.

One of the interesting things to note, is when there was just one drive this last time, it offerred to recover the drive (from the RAID BIOS). Since I wasn't sure what that would do I exited.

Any additional insights appreciated. I get the feeling I could reinstall.....
 but really trying to avoid that...

EDIT:

Called Dell support. Not much they could offer, but I will be getting a new drive. Once I gave up on recovering my data, I tried the recover option mentioned above. I allowed it to, with one drive connected and one not connected (one that was defintely hosed).

It "set" the drive to degraded status and I was able to boot. Might be my ignorance, but I thought this should have degraded gracefully and the option above spooked me.

Anyway, hope this helps some other poor sod somewhere along the way!

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED LEAD THE WAY FOR ME.

Message Edited by atangel on 02-16-2008 05:46 PM
Message Edited by atangel on 02-16-2008 05:47 PM
No Events found!