Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2009 21:00

Ethernet controller won't load

I have a 2 year old Dell XPS 410 still under the 3 year warranty. I can't seem to get Dell tech support to understand my problem. I had a popup after restart saying Ethernet controller missing. I tried to download another driver on a different computer and transfer it to my Dell with no luck. I also have a Dell drivers CD, but didn't have luck there either. Dell is perplexed, but I just want my computer fixed. How do I get Dell to act???

I also read this on a non dell forum: (I had updated this Bios several months ago myself-- I have no clue what to do next.)

Dell has released a new BIOS for the XPS 410 and Dimension 9200, which they have marked as Urgent (in big bold and red-colored text). BIOS 2.5.2 corrects problems the system was having when in Gigabit Ethernet environments. It’s not clear if this also applies to systems with a 10/100 controller… or what else Dell didn’t note in the change list… so just go update.

Update: Dell has pulled the update. Judging from the comments below, the update was randomly frying Ethernet NICs on-board, though I cannot reproduce this on my system.

Trackback | Permalink |
1 Comment on “Dell XPS 410 / Dimension 9200 BIOS 2.5.2 Released (Updated)”
chris on November 13th, 2007, 12:40 pm  Hey man,

This BIOS fried the ethernet port of 3 of our 9200’s. We own over 40. On the forums, 1 or 2 others reported similar results.

Dell has now pulled the BIOS down and has 2.5.1 back up.

There was no further comment on what to do about this. I am perplexed. Dell is not helping.

50 Posts

January 12th, 2009 22:00

As I said, I am not tech oriented, so I must rely on Dell support to help me. The notation I posted about the Bios was the only one that seemed to fit, though the upgrade was done several months ago.

I was hoping that Dell could just send me another ethernet card, but they want me to try a new driver CD first. (Actually, it didn't seem like they knew what to do either, as they didn't mention the diagnostics) I suppose if that is all they know how to do, I will have to follow their advise. They mentioned that the next step would be to reload windows. I really don't want to do that. Seems that I am going around in circles after two days and two different techs.

950 Posts

January 12th, 2009 22:00

Are you suspecting the bios update may have fried your ethernet? have you tried running the Dell diagnostics?

950 Posts

January 13th, 2009 08:00

I understand. And trying to get help in a forum like htis takes so much time posting back and forth. So a few questions.

Does your warranty have in home support? If so you may want to escalate this to a Dell supervisor.

Is your ethernet card a separate card.... I am almost certain it  is built in on the motherboard so your whole motherboard would have to be replaced to fix a defective one.

Can you go into device manager and look under network adapters. Is it listed there? Any yellow ! next to it?

Have you run the Dell diagnostics on it yet. If not please do so and give results.

Aslto try booting to safemode with network support see if it works in safemode.

50 Posts

January 13th, 2009 10:00

I think you are right. The ethernet card was separate on my old Gateway computer (the one I am currently writing from--it is 7 years old). The ethernet seems to built in on the motherboard on the Dell. In device manager, there is an exclamation point on the ethernet controller, whereas on the Gateway, under Network adapter, there is 1. 1394 Net Adapter and 2. D-Link DFE-530TX+PCI Adapter.

My warranty is "3 year Limited Warranty, Warranty Support, 2 year Extended, Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOn site Extended, Type 15 Third Party At Home Service with Nights and Weekends, 24x7 Tech Support, 2 year Extended, Dell Hardware Warranty Plus Onsite Service, Initial Year"........so I don't know beyond that.

When I get the time tonight, I will do the Dell Diagnostics again and let you know. Then will try safe mode with network support to see if that works.

It seems that this old Gateway for its time was more advanced than the Dell 410, but I have unfortunately never delt with the inner workings of the machine. I would not expect the average person would have even my knowledge.

Thanks for your help. Sorry it took me so long to reply........

950 Posts

January 13th, 2009 10:00

Ok that is sort of good news the yellow ! is next to the adapter in device manager. It shows that windows does see the adapter and it may just be a driver problem. I will research for the driver and help you tonight to install it and hopefully it will work.

1K Posts

January 13th, 2009 11:00

Hi hfhlt004.

Sorry to barge in slamx.

My 9200/410 has BIOS 2.5.3 since long time ago. It came with 2.0.1 Two years ago, and I also upgraded the Ethernet driver to the one in Dell´s "Drivers & Downloads" in January 2008 with no ill effects, as a matter of fact, since the Ethernet driver upgrade my connections are great.

BIOS 2.5.3

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R172927&SystemID=DIM_PNT_9200_XPS_410&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=308&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=11&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=235064

Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R171870&SystemID=DIM_PNT_9200_XPS_410&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=11814&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=5&fileid=233725

Hope it helps.

50 Posts

January 13th, 2009 13:00

The Dell tech and I got that far last night, tha is using the Drivers & Utilities CD that came with the computer. Then we could not find the proper driver, but tried on of the many listed. It didn't work-would not install. Then tried another which wouldn't work. At that point, I didn't want to try anything else, so signed off for the night.

As you noted about, you used the

Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device

I will try that one and report back.

950 Posts

January 13th, 2009 14:00

That was my thinking too. I think we can get the right driver installed.

950 Posts

January 13th, 2009 15:00

Ok I see the problem. You do not understand how to install the driver.

The self extracting file only unzips the file. You then need to install the driver from the directory where that file was unzipped to. Do you have AIM or Yahoo Msgr...or some live chat program I can connet to you with?

Some drivers are installed with a setup files and some are installed through device manager by point to the directory where to get the driver from.

50 Posts

OK, still no luck. I downloaded that driver from the internet with my old computer and saved it to my thumb drive. It is dated August, 2007. Then installed it to my Dell. Something unzipped and installed, but it didn't go anywhere. It was R171870 Intel LAN Network Device for XPS410. 

Then I went back to Device Manager > Network adapters> Intel (R) Pro 10+ PCI Adapter

Under Driver File details, I got Intel (R) Pro/10 + PCI Adapter > Driver files> C:\Womdpws\system 32\DRIVERS\el00b325.sys

I'm going to take a break now and get some chores done. Will be back later.

Thank goodness I still have this old 2001 Gateway!

1K Posts

Hi hfhlt004.

You should have in Device Manager/Network Adapters/Intel(R) 825xx DC Gigabit Network Connection.

The driver I gave you is the only driver available for Dim 9200/XPS 410 Windows XP. There is another Version for Vista.

That Intel(R) Pro 10+PCI Adapter sounds like a PCI Ethernet Card that was discontinued by Intel, read this:

http://www.intel.com/support/etherexpress/pro10/sb/cs-010561.htm

Anyways this is the software/driver for it:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=401&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21

I would go to the BIOS ( reboot and press F2 when Dell´s logo appears ) look for "ON board Divices" and make sure "Integrated NIC" says "ON". Try the XPS NIC (network interface card) again. Make sure that "Intel(R) 825xx DC Gigabit Network Connection" (that is your Ethernet connection that is integrated to the MOBO) is showing in Ethernet adapters in Device Manager. Try again your connectivity.

Edit: slamx is right, some times drivers have to be installed differently, like the one I gave you above for Intel PRO 10+PCI; However, It has been my experience that Dell´s drivers are straight forward. You are missing your NIC not your driver.

Edit: Here is your Intel Pro 10:

http://www.belarus.net/Intel/RESELLER/eepro10p.pdf

You should not have to use a Ethernet card unless your NIC has gone bad

Hope it helps.

50 Posts

January 13th, 2009 17:00

SlamX, I hope you guys can follow both conversations, as I reply to one or another.

You are right. I don't have a good idea what I am doing. I normally just USE my computer, not try to be my own tech.

Sorry, I have never used an instant messenger, just email.

I received an updated disk from Dell tonight for drivers: DRIVERS AND UTILITIES, DELL DIMENSION RESOURCE CD.

Supposedly it wil fix my computer, but I need guidance. Should I uninstall the network adapter under the Device Manager before proceeding withinstalling the new driver? It is marked with a yellow !

Then I understand that I should insert the CD and look for the proper driver, but I need to find that on the disk. Unfortunately, Dell puts several drivers on the disk, and I have to find which one, and then try to install it.

Hernan, I will be back later to work on your reply.

950 Posts

January 13th, 2009 19:00

Um you still need to know how to install the driver correctly. this is a very slow way to help you. If you can please email me at gdepetro at msn dot com

50 Posts

January 13th, 2009 22:00

Let me continue this tomorrow.

Thanks.

Bob

1K Posts

January 14th, 2009 11:00

Hi Bob.

I understand you, some times is frustrating to troubleshoot a PC. Let´s us start from the beginning:

One: XPS 410 two years old (December 06 or January 07) did not come with an Ethernet PCI card, and that is what your Device Manager / Ethernet Adapters is reading > Intel(R) Pro 10+PCI Adapter. That let me to believe that you or some one else installed that Ethernet PCI adapter. Why ? You stated in your first post that BIOS 2.5.2 could have fried your Ethernet connection. If you have that card, I gave you a link, above post, for the driver, and SlamX may help you to install it.

Two: The link I gave you for the Intel 825xx Gigabit Plataform Lan Network Device is for the XPS 410 NIC, and that is what your Device manager / Ethernet Adapters should say. See Manual, back view of PC, #2 (network adapter connection).

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/about.htm#wp1054637

Three: The driver for XPS 410, file R171870, release date 10/07, version 9.10.8.0, A04, and the only one available for XPS 410, is straight forward. You only have to execute it. I understand that you already did and nothing happened, and according to your last posts, it is not showing in Ethernet Adapters; Furthermore, the Intel Pro 10+ is showing with a yellow !. You can click the ! to see if it gives you any tips to see what is going on.

Four: That make me think that your NIC is turn off in BIOS. You have to go into the PC BIOS and make sure it is on. Reboot PC and when the Dell´s logo appears in the screen press F2. Open or expand "Onboard Devices" and look for "Integrated NIC". If it is ON then we can say that your NIC is fried and the only way to make it work is to replace the Motherboard, sorry. If it is so you would have to use the Intel Pro +. If it was off, turn it on, save it and exit. Go to Device Manager > Ethernet adapters and check that it is showing (Intel 825xx Gigabit Network Connection) without any yellow or red marks If it has yellow or ? reinstall driver R171870.EXE, if so, uninstall the Intel Pro + in device manager.

Bob I do not know what else to tell you. You may try to get in touch with slamx to see if he can help you more.

Read this to give you an idea on how to troubleshoot your PC in the future.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1054146

Hope it helps

No Events found!