Highlighted
Not applicable

Expertise Needed on power supply/vid card combo

I've been reading through multiple threads on similar issues. My video card needs replacing on my XPS 8300, and the one Dell recommended and sent (since returned) would never work. I think that I'm stuck in the no man's land of either using 'legacy' cards (and my first try from Dell, recommended by Dell didn't work), or upgrading the PSU to support the newer cards.

So here's what I got for a card: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 Graphics card (Dell Y9XH7)

I'm pretty sure I need to update my PCU, which is the standard 460W; I also need the support clip as this is a full-sized card; my other was the factory, small PCI Express card. This card also has two six-pin power supply inputs which my original didn't.

Desperately seeking PSU and cords recommendations, and whether the factory motherboard will have any issues with this card.

Also, this card is 1 GB, and my small factory card was two - but the newer cards process better/differently, so it isn't a 'downgrade'...is this correct?

My PC stats:

64-bit

Model: XPS 8300

Operating System:
Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU Type:
Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
CPU Speed:
3.41 GHz
System Memory (RAM):
11.98 GB (12)
Power Supply: 460 Watts
Video Card Model:
AMD RADEON HD 6670
Video Card Memory:
2.72 GB
Video Card Driver:
aticfx32.dll
Desktop Resolution:
1680x1050
Hard Disk Size:
918.23 GB
Hard Disk Free Space:
415.08 GB (45%)
Download Speed:
2.37 MB/s (19.9 mbps)

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
8 Xenon

RE: Expertise Needed on power supply/vid card combo

You May want to consider a GTX1050TI 4 gig card.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Graphics-ZT-P10510A-10L/dp/B01MCU1ERO

EVGA Super NOVA B1 G1  series works fine. B2 BQ G2 series DOES NOT WORK.  Part # EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1 110-B1-0750-VR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438025

The physical dimensions on this are very important.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos