Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2011 22:00

External Sound Card for Dimension 8300

I have a 2004 Dimension 8300 with built-in sound card (says factory installed audio on invoice).

I installed Windows 7 Pro 32 around 12/27/2010.  Ran Windows 7 compatibility before I installed it and there was no detected problem.   I do not have sound.  Checked speakers are okay.   Dell techs informed me that this sound card will not work with Win 7 and that it is not upgradable because it is built in.

Is there an external sound card that could be plugged in a USB port?  I am not a highly sophisticated computer user (like, semi-literate) so apologize if this is a silly question.   If there is such a thing, what would be a could one for my computer?  I have an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3 GHz, 2 GB RAM.

Also, Freecell is running in software rendering mode and message says hardware accelerator either disabled or not supported by video card driver.  Should I update my video card?  If so, what is a good one.

Thanks in advance,

Jeri

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 8th, 2011 03:00

The 8300 is not really a good candidate for Win 7 but since you have it installed you will need a new sound card.  Either a PCI sound card or a USB connected external card.  The SoundBlaster Audigy SE PCI card (if they still make them) will work with Win 7 and is relatively inexpensive.   Best Buy lists a couple SoundBlaster USB connected units   HERE

You probably need a new video card.  Considering the wattage of the power supply (250 watt) and the 8X AGP type video connector you will be limited.  Look over the available cards at www.newegg.com  (they too have the USB audio units like Best Buy). 

No Events found!