Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2013 01:00

Extremely long bootups and colored purple screens.

I have a dell xps 730x i7 i7 940, 6db ddr3 1066, 500gb hd, gtx 280, vista 64 and have been suffering from startup times that average 15 minutes ish. Full defrag times also take 2 days to run.  I have 86gb of 463gb free currently.   Also recently I have been getting this image at the bottom of this post except mine is green or red and now purple too. It all started for the colored screens since windows decided to install the latest whql nvidia drivers on it's own and failed because I hit cancel once it started because I didn't want it to. After that I started getting a colored screen sometimes when turning the computer on. Sometimes it happens on login sometimes right when desktop finally loads and others not at all but mostly it happens now with youtube.  I don't know if it is a side effect but in games like bf3 and mohw players often just pop up on the screen as if they ran there but were not shown or drawn and the draw distance seems worse for players too.

So I uninstalled the nvidia drivers and did a fresh install of the new whql drivers from nvidia and the problem proceeded so I was like ok it must be those drivers so I uninstalled and re-installed the old drivers I was on that had no issues before and it worked fine for like 2 or 3 days and then just today it happened again as soon as desktop loaded. Whenever it happens I have to power off the pc and turn it back on. I am not sure what steps to take next other than trying different drivers. Does anyone have any advice what drivers to try or what things to check? I have turned off that windows update installation of that driver and done clean installs of two drivers now and just tried driver 301.42 and it happened again this time while web browsing. I am on the drivers before the ones that just came out not the 314.07 but the ones before that.   Btw the picture is not mine it just displays my exact problem. 

What tests should I run? Is this a video card or monitor issue? or driver? Would a reformat fix anything?

I am hoping to fix this but I may  consider getting an alienware x51 mainly for fps gaming. Also is there a cheap way to upgrade to windows 7?  Side note but I am considering upgrading my wrt54g router and cable sb101 modem.  I have comcast internet and was considering getting an asus rt-n56u or n66u router and a sb6141 modem do those sound good?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 28th, 2013 22:00

You might try swapping in a known good video card, even a cheap one, just to confirm that.

July 7th, 2013 18:00

btw fixed origin issues with a fresh windows reinstall

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 26th, 2013 14:00

fordmustang16,

The samsung monitor might have some self test check when it is not connected to the video card but turned on. Ours do. Give that a shot. If their self test is good, then the video card is suspect.

February 26th, 2013 20:00

i actually have an older viewsonic 2035wm but I tried what you said and it just comes up no signal and the light turns orange.  The image above just shows the exact issue I have.  It actually started doing it today after the windows loading screen as well in the past it was just when opening desktop windows or youtube.  Just trying to figure out if it is a driver issues, windows install issue, monitor or graphics card and whether any of those needs replaced.  I thought about trying a fresh windows install or looking at an alienware x51.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 27th, 2013 10:00

Can you test this monitor on a different PC or another monitor on this PC? That would be fastest way to figure out if the monitor failed.

February 27th, 2013 20:00

Ok i tried that with a really old monitor and got the same issue.  I went into event viewer and I see this alot.  wmi event code 10 and then it says

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

I saw some people suggest to try this? support.microsoft.com/.../950375  It seems to be happening way more past 2 days and as soon as bootup.

February 28th, 2013 00:00

update: I tried the above with no luck.  These two videos show the exact problem as me.

also found this thread I am going to read through. forums.geforce.com/.../2

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 28th, 2013 11:00

According to that microsoft link, that error message can be safely ignored so that's not your problem.

If both monitors give the same result, it probably comes down to either PC hardware or a likely driver issue, especially since you aborted the nVidia update.

Reboot and press F8 before Windows starts to load. Select Safe Mode from the list. Does that work?

If Safe Mode works, shut down normally, reboot and go back to the F8 menu. This time pick Last Known Good.  If that works, shut down normally and reboot normally.

February 28th, 2013 19:00

Tried that with no luck going to try a fresh windows install as maybe it will help with the startup times too.  Btw I just opened the pc and checked all the cables and they were tight however, upon inspection I saw there is a dead grey stink bug in my video card under the fan. Could this of fried it?

March 1st, 2013 04:00

Yeah i am going to look into getting a new video card or even a new pc.  The fresh install didn't fix it but it did get it to where it gave 6 beeps (i think code) meaning it was video card.  Any suggestions on a good mid range video card and how do I check what my power supply is capable of handling?

March 1st, 2013 04:00

i get error code 80073712, when windows tries to update kb953733, and kb2481109.  I also am going to try what someone suggested of lowering the speeds with evga precision on 280 to 500 and 1076 as someone suggested as a temporary fix try is there any issues with that?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 1st, 2013 10:00

I hope your files were backed up on external media before you did that clean install! How did you do a reinstall without functional video? And did you install all the hardware drivers in the correct order, starting which the chipset, before trying to update Windows?

Since you don't have onboard graphics in this system, you'll have to try a new video card. I wouldn't worry about those Microsoft updates until you get the video working properly because that might prevent the updates from installing correctly.

March 1st, 2013 17:00

sometimes it starts up ok and when it does i just have to have aero off and can't launch any games or 3d stuff but I can web browse usually. And yeah I backed everything up and followed the reinstall order in the manual.

March 3rd, 2013 17:00

Ok currently I am looking into getting a new graphics card I have a dell xps 730x with the 1000watt power supply.  Can I put a gtx 560ti, 660 or 660ti in it? Also anywhere that shows which cables for the 730x to plug in to it.  I was considering an alienware x51 but I see some with issues and it they don't support anything over a 660.

March 15th, 2013 20:00

the video card has fixed some of the issues but now I cannot get origin games to launch. They start loading map and close saying game disconnected or something went wrong.  The only thing i see is in error reporting. Tried just about re-installing everything again except windows.

roblem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: bf3.exe

Application Version: 1.6.0.0

Application Timestamp: 511c9356

Fault Module Name: d3d11.dll

Fault Module Version: 7.0.6002.18107

Fault Module Timestamp: 4abc1d78

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000580c1

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: fd00