Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

October 27th, 2016 16:00

Extremely slow screen loads and extreme change in processor speed

Hello 1st time poster with a question-

XPS8700 3.60 gigahertz Intel Core I7-4790, windows 8.1, 32 megabytes of ram, A11 BIOS

The problem encountered was extremely slow screen loads,some programs would time out, other screens took forever to come up. The spinning icon was very slow. This happened the first time I started up the computer and Dell tech support had me run the F12 diagnostics, all items passed, so he had me update the BIOS from A10 to A11 and the problem was resolved. This was a year and a half ago.

The same problem happened 2 nights ago. I first ran virus scan and malware scan. All of them reported no issue. I had Verizon reset my FIOS connection and check my Internet-no issue on their end..

I was finally able to resolve the issue the next morning by running the F12 diagnostics,the long version, took about 3 hours or so and now the computer is back to normal. Diagnostics were clean, no issues reported and everything passed.

I have a program that gives a complete profile of my computer-The Belarc Advisor- I ran it while the problem was present and my processor shows a speed of 57.65 gigahertz, not 3.60 gigahertz.

I reran the Belarc Advisor after the problem was resolved and now we are back to normal, 3.60 gigahertz.

Has anybody every encountered this issue or seen the processor speed change so dramatically and then return to normal?

28 Posts

October 27th, 2016 17:00

Hi Ron-

Thank you for the quick reply- Just to let you know I did not mistype it. I have a hard copy printout of the results. That is the way I was able to post that result that makes no sense at all. I do back up on a regular basis. Belarc Advisor could have been affected by the computer problem and therefore gave an erroneous answer completely out of the realm of possibility or logic. The readout is now back to normal and as I said, the F12 diagnostics as well as Belarc showing SMART STATUS(off the hard drive) as Healthy always, has me looking for another explanation. I agree that the speed is not possible.

I wonder if there are any techies out there familiar with the internal workings or architecture of an Intel processor or the computer hardware that would like to chime in with an opinion.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 27th, 2016 17:00

Unless you mis-typed it, something was wrong with what Belarc found because there's no way a CPU could run at 57.65 GIGA-Hz.

Back up your personal files on external media ASAP, in case your hard drive is about to fail....

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 27th, 2016 18:00

Software makes mistakes, especially when the hardware isn't running at the clock (expected) speed, for whatever reasons.

The SpeedFan utility occasionally reports the GPU temps in my Win 10 Dell laptop as over 1 MILLION degrees C, for no obvious reasons.  

28 Posts

October 27th, 2016 20:00

Thank you Ron-

That makes sense- I experienced the slow screen loads twice with this computer so I was wondering if anyone else had this problem occur and what was the actual cause.

As they say- It's one of those things that we don't quite fully understand.

Thank you again for your reply-

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 28th, 2016 11:00

You're welcome.

Keep an eye on things. If the system slows to a crawl again, then it needs further examination to determine if there's a hardware or software fault and how best to resolve the issue.

No Events found!