Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2016 07:00

Failed BIOS update - Dell XPS 8500

I went to the Dell product page for my computer - Dell XPS 8500, and ran the scan to check for updates.  3 updates, one of them for BIOS.  I ran the updates and initiated the BIOS update.  Midway through it appeared to get hung up and my machine froze.  I left it for an hour, came back and still no luck.

So I rebooted the machine and of course now it won't boot up.  I have power and can hear the fan, but no lights on the box and no screen input.

Looking though the manual and on this forum, I've tried resetting the BIOS jumpers, and removing the CMOS battery.  When I rebooted I saw lights on the box this time but it shut down after 30 seconds, and now back to the same problem.

From what I read on this forum I'm SOL unless I buy a new motherboard.

Just thought I'd check if anyone had any other suggestions.  If not, where can I get  a new motherboard for this?  The product page for my model doesn't list it as an option...

Thanks for your help!

Jason

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 19th, 2016 10:00

When did your warranty expire? If it expired less than 6 months ago, you might be able to get Dell to fix it, assuming they can get the board. They had a policy to replace a board -one time only- if it failed a Dell BIOS update within 6 months after the end of warranty. I don't know if that policy still exists.

Those are all different revisions of the same motherboard. I don't know what the differences are. They could be as simple as a different supplier for one of the components on the board all the way up to a change in the circuit layout.

Maybe Dell Spare Parts can tell you about the differences among the 3, or at least tell you which is the most recent revision,  even if they don't have the boards available...?

All three support the H77 chipset which is a key issue.

Look at your motherboard for the sticker to see what version you have now. If you can't find out about specific differences, you may want to get one that's the same version, assuming it's one of the choices available.

You should look elsewhere if Impact doesn't have the revision you want and/or for price comparisons. And always ask if the board is new, used, refurbished and about the warranty.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 19th, 2016 12:00

Dell won't know your product key.

Here's what MS says on their forum:

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

And read this too.

You probably need to get going ASAP because the free upgrade to Win 10 ends July 29th. So if you have to reinstall Win 8.1 on the HDD and then upgrade to Win 10, you want to do that before they make you pay for a new product key. As said in that second link, you may want to do this on a new HDD and then swap the old one back in to see if that will avoid having to reinstall all the software too...

8 Posts

July 18th, 2016 07:00

Also - I found this article on the Dell site:

www.dell.com/.../SLN284433

Has anyone had success creating a bootable USB to update BIOS in a situation similar to mine?

I Will try this tonight...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 18th, 2016 11:00

Has anyone had success creating a bootable USB to update BIOS in a situation similar to mine?

That only works if you can boot the system...

Did you power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before removing the motherboard  battery and did you press/hold the power button for ~30 sec after removing the battery to see if you can clear BIOS?

You can find motherboards for the XPS 8500 here and probably on eBay.

There's always Dell Spare Parts:
Mon–Fri 7 a.m.–9 p.m. Central Time
Sat & Sun 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Central Time
1-800-357-3355
Have Service Tag available

8 Posts

July 18th, 2016 18:00

Ron - thanks for your suggestions.  I tried holding the power button before and after removing the cmos battery but no luck.  I also tried the bootable usb and that didn't work either.

I think i'm stuck with buying a new motherboard.  I called the Dell Spare Parts number you provided but they don't have any motherboards for that model in stock.  

The link you provided lists 3 motherboards, each with a different code or model number - i'm not really sure.  Do you know if it matters?  Is there anything i need to consider when purchasing a motherboard? i.e. the windows product code and version, etc... i've seen a few posts on this site mentioning making sure the motherboard supports the windows license key, etc)

These are the 3 models listed on the site you provided:

YJPT1 - Motherboard, H77 Chipset For Vostro 470 / XPS 8500

www.impactcomputers.com/yjpt1.html

NW73C - Motherboard, H77 Chipset For XPS 8500

www.impactcomputers.com/nw73c.html

TXKR9 - Motherboard, H77 Chipset For XPS 8500

www.impactcomputers.com/txkr9.html

8 Posts

July 19th, 2016 11:00

ok good to know.

I was looking at this, but it appears to be lga1155 chipset so I think that's out.  

NEW Genuine DELL XPS 8500 Vostro 470 Socket LGA1155 Motherboard NW73C

www.itrepairshop.net/genuine-dell-xps-8500-vostro-470-socket-lga1155-motherboard-nw73c-cn-0nw73c.html

8 Posts

Thanks Ron.  This is helpful.

When you say "...All three support the H77 chipset which is a key issue..."

you mean that all three will be compatible.  Correct?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

The specs say the XPS 8500 uses the H77 chipset so I assume that's what your current board supports.

If the chipset on the replacement board isn't H77, you'd have to reinstall Windows and all your software on the HDD because the chipset affects how Windows gets installed and runs.

8 Posts

Also, for the windows key, I purchased the computer with Windows 8.0 installed, and recently did the upgrade to Windows 10, so I'm assuming I will still need to contact Microsoft for a product key.

Would you know if Dell support would have a copy of the key I purchased in my account information?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Oh, and as for version of Windows, if you're running Win 7, it shouldn't matter. Win 8(.1) and Win 10 store the product key in BIOS so you may have to contact Microsoft for a new product key to activate Windows after you replace the board.

8 Posts

July 19th, 2016 13:00

Ron - Your advice has been invaluable!  Thank you!!

I'm about to go away on vacation so installing anything prior to July 29 will be next to impossible for me unfortunately.  However I'm really glad I found this out now rather than later.  

This is getting very complicated, and I'm starting to feel like the Dell Black Friday in July sale might be more appealing! :)

Take care!

-Jason

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 19th, 2016 17:00

What's more important...vacation or Microsoft..?  :emotion-4:

I suppose you could just reinstall Win 8.1 with a new motherboard and cut down on the costs. You may be able to get a Win 8.1 USB stick from Dell...

If you go with a new PC, you'll still have to install all your software. So I guess it's a question of time vs budget.

Good luck whichever way you go. And enjoy your vacation.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 19th, 2016 20:00

Got email alert to a new post from you, but that post doesn't appear here.  :emotion-7:

Anyway, you're mixing apples and oranges. (Can I say "apple" here?)  :emotion-2:

LGA1155 is the socket for the CPU, not the chipset that's mounted on the motherboard.  So don't rule this one out so fast. Suggest you contact them and ask if it's the H77 chipset.

BTW: that site says "like new". What does that actually mean? the board was only used on Sundays by a lil ole lady to visit her favorite X-rated sites?

I don't know this company so do your homework before purchasing from them or anywhere else.

EDIT: That post showed up after I posted this. DUH!

8 Posts

July 20th, 2016 14:00

Thanks Ron for the clarification.  Makes sense.  I am looking at purchasing new now, but I still think I may pursue fixing this one and selling it - its just too good a machine and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

This way I can do so without the pressure of getting it up and running in a hurry :emotion-1:

No Events found!