Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2011 21:00

Failed installation of RAM

I have a strange problem installing additional RAM in my Inspiron 570S.  Windows 7 OS. Since I play a lot of intensive games that were slowing my puter down I decided to add more RAM.  The first attempt was adding 4GB (2 chips) from Crucial.  Computer/properties confirmed that the 4 GB was installed (giving me 6GB)However, the computer speed did NOT increase (as tho nothing had been added) and in addition when I tried to open a favorite intensive application, Adobe Photoshop,it gave me the error message:' Not enough Ram to open Adobe Photoshop' !!  Really strange.  I appealed to Dell support.  A technician recommended that I should have ONLY used Dell RAM chips and proceeded to sell me one 2GB chip for roughly 6 times the amount I paid for the Crucial chips).  I then installed the 2GB chip (making 4GB and this was again confirmed by Computer/Properties).  Again I had the SAME RESULT: No increase in speed and the Same Error message when I tried to open Photoshop.!!!  A Dell troubleshooting technician uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop...No matter.  Really strange because I had been operating Photoshop on the original 2GB of RAM although slow. The technician suspected corrupt files and stopped at that point.  Incidentally Photoshop was the ONLY intensive application (e.g. Picasso ) that gave me this error message.  I personally do not think however that this application is the problem because why else does the additonal RAM not work to increase speed (aside from Photoshop)???  I am open to any suggestions.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 24th, 2011 04:00

The Crucial chips should of worked fine (in my computer all the chips 4×4 GB are crucial). If it was detected in computer properties then the RAM was there. 

Are you using a 64 bit version of Windows 7? Does it say the 6 GB are usable?

i.e. in my laptop it says 4.0 GB (3.24 GB usable).

Use the 2×2 GB modules you bought from crucial in conjunction with the 2 ×2 GB you bought Dell to give you 8 GB (since I guess you have both).

It does seem like you have a software problem. Once all the RAM is installed, open Dell Support Centre and run the PC Check Up to ensure the hardware is working.

Run CCleaner (cleaner and registry cleaner). Assuming you have Adobe Photoshop installation files and any product keys (from the time you reinstalled it with the Dell Tech). Attempt to unistall it using the 30 day free trial of Revo Uninstaller. Select the advanced uninstall and delete any associated files associated with photoshop. Reboot then try to reinstall it.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 24th, 2011 17:00

Press [Windows] and and type in msconfig then go to boot > advanced options.

Check that maximum memory is unchecked.

Dell Support Centre can be downloaded from here,

261 Posts

September 24th, 2011 17:00

Many thanks for your help.  I did not even know that the Dell Support Center existed. Yes, I have a 64-bit OS.  Both Computer/Properties and SysInfo indicate that 4GB of RAM is installed, 3.75 usable.  I have run PC Checkup and Memory Diagnostics...all tests passed. I ran CC cleaner.  I uninstalled Adobe Photoshop using Revo Uninstaller and then reinstalled using my disc. Sorry to say that after all that the problem still exists.  I still am gettting the error message: Not enough RAM to open Adobe Photoshop.  I am completely mystified.  Why did Adobe open with 2GB Ram (before I installed either the Crucial chips or the Dell chip) but it will NOT open with 4 or 6 GB.  Why are no other intensive applications affected similarly, and most of all: why does the additional RAM not seem to be adding any speed to the overall computer?  Something seems to be blocking it and I do not think it is the Adobe application even tho that app will not open with the additional RAM chips installed.  Why does my computer (although operating slowly with certain games or applications but still operating satisfactorily) not respond to the added RAM, either Crucial OR Dell?  Should I do an OS system  Repair?  Due to the tremendous amount of user created personal files and applications I DO NOT WANT TO DO a complete reinstall if I can possibly avoid it.  What is your advice?  Thank you in advance....

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 24th, 2011 18:00

"... 4GB of RAM is installed, 3.75 usable..."

That doesn't sound right for a 64-bit version of Windows.

After you uncheck the max memory box Natakuca4 mentioned, put a check next to: "Make all boot settings permanent" then reboot. (Note, you'll still be able to come back to change things, so this box only makes things permanent, until/unless you change settings.)

If that doesn't help, read this about Vista, but it should also apply to Win 7. 

And keep this in mind too:

64-bit (x64) Windows 7 Maximium RAM Limit per Edition

• Home Basic: 8GB
  • Home Premium: 16GB
  • Professional: 192GB

How much free hard drive space do you have? If the hard drive is very full, Windows may not have enough space for its page file which it uses as virtual RAM, and that could force Windows to hold everything in physical RAM. In other words, you'd tie up a lot of RAM, making it unavailable to PhotoShop which is a major resource hog.

Are you using on-board graphics or do you have an add-in video card?

Ron

261 Posts

September 24th, 2011 22:00

I was afraid to 'make all boot settings permanent' because it said that I could not go back and change that. The maximum RAM limit for Home Basic (which I have is 8GB.  I was operating successfully (albeit slow at times) with 2GB including the Adobe Photoshop application.  It was only after I attempted to add RAM (4GB at first which resulted in the error msg, then 2 GB which also had the same error message) that I started having this problem...I couldn't access Photoshop at all and it didn't seem like the computer was operating any faster than it was with 2GB.  I am using less than half of my available hard drive space.  That should not be a problem.  I am not sure whether I have an on-board graphics or an add-in video card...how can I determine that?  As a last resort I will remove the added RAM chips and go back to a slow computer (the SAME as I have now with the added RAM but at least Photoshop will work).  This really mystifies me...I try to improve the computer (adding RAM)  and wind up with no additional speed and now have other problems (no Photoshop) as well.  I have questioned my installation of the new RAM chips but it has been confirmed by both Computer/properties AND SysInfo that the 4GB of RAM (3.75 available) is indeed there.  Why do you say this doesn't sound right for a 64-bit version when the max limit is 8GB.  Dell can do Remote Assist (and DID) but they couldn't solve the problem either.  I was dealing with hardware experts (not software) but the RAM chips they sold me ARE hardware.  ????  I am at a loss.  What do you think?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 25th, 2011 04:00

Try inserting all your RAM and again press [windows] and and type in mscong, go to boot > Advanced Options > tick maximum memory and type in 2048. Reboot, does Photoshop work now? What version of photoshop are you using?

For 32 bit the RAM maxes out at 3.5 - 4.0 GB. So it does sound like a 32 bit OS is installed.

Do you have a spare hard drive? If so remove all hard drives from your machine, insert the spare along with all the RAM. Install Vista on it, the system drivers (in the correct order) and then photoshop, does it work? If it does then it seems like a software problem.

261 Posts

September 27th, 2011 06:00

OMG...typed in 2048, rebooted, and PHOTOSHOP WORKED!  Have no idea why this worked when everything else did not but I am not going to question it...THANK   YOU VERY MUCH.  For your info I had reinstalled the 4GB RAM chips from Crucial...Yes I DO have a 64-bit OS and no I do not have a spare hard drive but even if I did my level of expertise does not extend to removing and replacing hard drives.  I will say that a Dell technician had the Photoshop working briefly after he repaired some Windows files in order to get my Windows Update to work properly....the working of Photoshop as a side benefit lasted only briefly however and then went back to the error message 'not enough RAM'....so for now all is OK again after I followed your instructions for the 2048...Thanks again.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 27th, 2011 07:00

Well that is not a solution, it is a bad work around/test to get photoshop working. This was to limit the amount of RAM the OS addresses. i.e. this setting makes the computer use/think it only has 2 GB out of the 4 GB or 6 GB. i.e. at this setting all of your RAM except for 2 GB is sitting dormant.

The hardware seems to check out okay (both the Dell and Crucial modules).

The problem seems to be associated with the version of photoshop you have, it can't address more than 3 GB or 4GB of RAM. Can you verify if photoshop works or is broken when this value is set to 3072 (3 GB), 3584 (3.5 GB), 4096 (4 GB) or 6144 (6 GB).

What version of photoshop do you have? Maybe Windows 7 isn't fully supported in this version. Also maybe there is a patch to address this issue (maybe here). If you tell us maybe we can help further.

Another idea might be to run the program in compatibility mode (select XP or Vista).

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 27th, 2011 12:00

Unless the App is a 64 bit app then the solution is valid.

261 Posts

September 27th, 2011 17:00

I think you have hit upon the answer: It is the Photoshop software that is not only NOT a 64 bit application but is so old (Version PD4) that there is not even an update listed in what you sent me.  It worked fine for me (but slow) on my original 2GB RAM but the minute I upgraded to 4GB or 6GB I started getting the error message.  The minute I set it to 2096 it worked again (fooling the computer)...I will try it at 3072 to see if it works then.  However in either case it is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater because even tho the application is working it is also LIMIITING the rest of the computer to the lower RAM limits and the computer is running even slower than when I only had 2GB RAM.  I am going to see if I can upgrade the Photoshop application to a later 64 bit version.  There are many later editions than PD4...it is just a matter of money.  Like they say: 'You pays your money and you takes your choice'..lol.  Actually PD4 was serving my needs but if it is holding back the rest of the computer then it may be time to say goodbye to PD 4.  I hope you agree.  Thanks for solving my problem.

261 Posts

September 27th, 2011 21:00

No...it only works at 2048...I mistakenly typed in 2096 and it would not work.  So anything higher and the application will not open.  I am looking into an advanced Adobe Photoshop (Elements 10) on a 30 day trial basis.  Thanks for helping.

No Events found!