Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2011 00:00

Failing Hard Drive?

While Windows Vista was running normaly I got a messege that the HD was damaged and was advised to make a back up. Other than this messege you wouldn't know anything was wrong, no BSOD.

Made the back up, ran diagnostic tests.

PSA diagnostics gave me:

Error code 0151

Msg: Error Code 2000-0151

Msg: Hard Drive 1 - incorrert status:

3E No additional sense information

PSA+ 2000-0151  - Optical Drive (d): - Incorrect status: (x) (s)

After that I got:

error code 0F00 113E

error code 0F00 013E

error code 0F00 073E

error code 0F00 023E

error code 0F00 043E

error code 0F00 123E

error code 0F00 0D3E

so it's failed all hard drive tests so far and as it's still running I'm pretty sure there are more errors to come.

This disk is done for right? could I solve the problem by replacing it? (I would really prefer this to buying a whole new desktop, as this one is only 2.5 years old.) The desktop also has an inbuilt backup drive, D. This drive is also mentioned in the initial error messege. what should I do about this?

the HD disk name is ST3500418AS ATA Device. what type of disk should I replace it with?

Thanks in advance for your help.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 30th, 2011 01:00

This is a close match, produced by the same manufacturer: www.newegg.ca/.../Product.aspx

I think it is a good idea to replace your hard drive. You may be able to use imaging software like Acronis TrueImage to clone over the old hard drive contents to the new one so that you don't have to reinstall Windows and all your applications.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 30th, 2011 06:00

"What about the inbuilt back up drive?" is part of the same drive.  Backups for Recovery MUST BE DONE BEFORE failure.  Getting a new computer means you do your dell datasafe recovery media Immediately onto a 16 gig or larger USB flash drive.   You can then recover to factory image on a new drive.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 30th, 2011 11:00

Sometimes it's possible to successfully clone over a drive, even though it's failing.

I'm not sure if Seagate offers a free version of Acronis TrueImage like Western Digital does, but there is a paid version available from Newegg and others that features a bootable optical disc.

2.7K Posts

December 30th, 2011 12:00

Hi

Yes Seagate does have a Free version of Acronis TrueImage you can download it from Seagate .

December 30th, 2011 01:00

Thank you!

What about the inbuilt back up drive? It looks like that one is corrupted as well, but I'm not sure how to go about removing/replacing that one, it came with the system. Is it attached to the HD?

December 30th, 2011 15:00

Thank you all for your answers!

No Events found!