Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2009 13:00

Fax Modem

My original desktop was totally defective and broke down piece by piece.  Dell offered to replace the computer with a refurbished computer which was supposed to be the exact same except it would have Vista.  I have just discovered they neglected to install the fax modem and are saying I only had 21 days to "notice" the fax modem was missing and I am out of luck.  It was their mistake and I have in-home complete extended warranty coverage through 2010.  Any advice on what I can do to get them to give me what they promised?

213 Posts

January 8th, 2009 14:00

You don't say where you reside LLS761 and the laws on this topic will vary from country to country, but if you are in the UK and its not that long since you got the replacement I would suggest you have a good case for taking Dell to court over this. You have a contract with them to supply you with equipment that is of merchantable quality and obviously the first system was not - they are therefore obliged to supply you with an equivalent replacement box which does work - you are entitled to what you pay for. So if you are in the UK and it is within say 6 months of getting it I would suggest you tell them you will be taking out a small claims court summons against them unless they are prepared to honour your contract and see what they say. Alternatively before you do this you might want to discuss the specifics with your local trading standards department and see what they advise. If you're not in the Uk the situation will probably (almost certainly) be different.

6.4K Posts

January 8th, 2009 14:00

If you live in the U.S., go to the top of this page and click Support.  On that page, click Customer Service, and follow the trail that begins Part of My Order is Missing, Wrong, or Damaged.

No Events found!