Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2013 14:00

Flash BIOS before or after win7pro 64 clean install

Hello to all.  I have an older T3400 running WinXP Pro SP3  and it is in need of an OS upgrade.  I did a clean install of Win7Pro SP1 64 on my Vostro 1310 and it has been just fine.  I would like to get the same on the T3400 and i see that my BIOS is VERY old (ca. 2008) and i think it would be a good thing to update.

Any comments on whether to flash BEFORE or AFTER I do the WIn7 install?

Thanks in advance for any & all replies and best regards,

Morey G.

Precision T3400 2.7GHz Intel Core2 - 64kb ; 2GB RAM ; 250GB HDD ;

WinXP Pro SP3

August 30th, 2013 14:00

Hi Morey G,

It is always good to keep the BIOS up to date on every computer. Doesn't matter if you do it before or after installing Windows 7. Updating BIOS before is necessary only when installing any hardware on the computer. So I would recommend to update the BIOS to the latest version of A14 for your Precision Workstation. Click here to go to the Drivers and Download's page for your computer and click on BIOS to download the A14 version. You can also download the Drivers for Windows 7 for your computer on this page itself.

Here is an image for your reference:

Note: Make sure no application is running in the background and do not shut down the computer manually during BIOS update. The computer may restart a couple of times and then boot back into windows automatically, which is quite normal.  

29 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 15:00

Thanks for the link and the advice.  Doing so shortly in preparation of a Win7 Pro64 install on 2nd HDD - then hopefully....dual boot!

Regards

MoreyG

September 3rd, 2013 22:00

Hi MoreyG,

You are welcome!

Sure! Let me know in case if you need any help and I can assist you further.

2.9K Posts

September 4th, 2013 08:00

Morey G,

Once you get your system upgraded to Windows 7 Pro, you can install Virtual PC and WindowsXPMode if you have a Windows XP program that will not work in Windows 7.  VirtualPC and WindowsXPMode are free downloads from Microsoft.  I recently did this for a client that had an older version of AutoCad that he wanted to continue using. 

Tony

No Events found!