Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2012 04:00

Flashing #3 Diagnostic Light in Optiplex 790

Hi, I have problem with my Optiplex 790 It won't turn on. When I pressed the diagnostic button the #3 amber light is flashing. I followed the instruction from this edocs 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

it says it might have problem with the processor so I reinstalled the processor and restarted the system many times but still no luck. When I pressed the diagnostic button all fans are working including the fan inside the PSU.

What seems to be the problem? Does my processor already damaged?

Thanks in advance! :emotion-5:

1.8K Posts

April 9th, 2013 08:00

Hi sajad.wani,

From the symptoms above, it appears to be an issue with motherboard of your computer. If the system is under warranty, you may private message me the service tag and contact details. Click my username and then click Start Conversation. 

Awaiting your response. 

14 Posts

April 9th, 2013 08:00

Thanks CHinmay S, its not in warranty.

What u suggest, change PC or can be repaired at low cost?

1.8K Posts

April 10th, 2013 07:00

Hi sajad.wani,

I was just wondering if you have tried replacing the CMOS battery of your computer. If not, it is worth a shot and can be purchased from any local computer store at a very nominal price. You may find detailed instructions from the service manual of computer. Also please ensure that all the connections on motherboard are not loose. If the issue persists after replacing CMOS battery, you may consider replacing the motherboard of your computer. As the system is out of warranty, you may get in touch with either any local technician or Dell support of your region to know the exact cost of the motherboard. 

Hope this helps. Please reply in case you have any further questions. I'll be glad to assist. 

14 Posts

April 28th, 2013 08:00

Hi friend

I am having another problem with Dell optiplex 790 Mini-tower. It showing the same message the previous computer was showing.

But its working when i removed keyboard and mouse and then restarts. when it finsihing the boot-up i plug back the keyboard and mouse.

what is the problem with this pC, how can i fix it.

I am thinking the previous PC also has same problem but may be that also has some additional problem, thats why that one is not working.

Please assist me, may be i can fix both now.

1.8K Posts

April 30th, 2013 09:00

Hi sajad.wani,

You may try to reseat the CMOS battery from the computer and see if it helps. For detailed information on same, you may refer to system service manual: http://bit.ly/XnP4vD

Please ensure to follow safety instructions in manual and share the findings. 

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2015 21:00

Hi. Sorry for the very late response to my post... I found a video in youtube and I think this may solve the issue... The culprit was the power button not the CPU or the motherboard.. See video below. 

1 Message

January 21st, 2016 07:00

I was messing around with my PC trying different video adapters such as Display Port->VGA and other adapters i had to make it work. Upon swapping out my original display port to display port connection is when i had the blinking orange 3. I reverted back to my display port to display port connection and the PC powered on just fine. So there i can rightfully assume that this is a problem with your video adapter. Try switching to VGA or DVI or Display port without any adapters and hopefully you find a solution in that. 

No Events found!