Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2011 21:00

Floppy drive lights up after reboot

Hi, I have a Dimension 3000, xp pro and ie8. I have just finished a complete clean reinstall of my os. Everything seems to be working fine. Device manager shows no problems on hardware. However, after I reboot, the floppy drive lights up and makes a small sound, then the light goes off. I was just wondering if this is normal. I have not used the floppy drive ever and probably never will. I am just curious. Thanks in advance for any reply and assistance.

6.4K Posts

March 24th, 2011 21:00

The computer checks the health of its devices on boot-up, so if you have a diskette drive it will light up during POST.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 25th, 2011 19:00

If you don't use that floppy drive anymore, and the light and sound annoy you, go into BIOS setup and change the setting for the Diskette Drive to OFF. Save the change and exit setup. The system won't bother with the floppy drive again.

If, in the future, you decide you need to use the floppy drive, go back into BIOS setup and change the Diskette Drive setting back to Internal.

I turned the floppy drive off in my PC a long time ago, and I haven't missed it in years. :emotion-5:

Ron

161 Posts

March 24th, 2011 22:00

JackShack, Thank you for the quick response. It is nice to find answers to the little things as well as the big ones. Greatly appreciated. Liz.

6.4K Posts

March 25th, 2011 02:00

I'm glad I could help.  Good evening to you!

4.4K Posts

March 25th, 2011 16:00

I too have an old 3000, rarely used, but I fired it up to see and sure enough the floppy drive does light up momentarily as you describe, so I do believe things are in good order.  :emotion-1:

161 Posts

March 28th, 2011 10:00

Europa303, Thank you for your response.

Rohe, Thank you for your response and I will do as you suggested and turn off the diskette drive. Liz.

No Events found!