Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2008 02:00

Forgotton Passwords

Hi Guys,

I am new to Dell computers but do have some knowledge of computers, having built my own for my 60th birthday, some years ago!! So knowledge level would be basic I think.

I am trying to sort out my grandson’s computer it is a Dell Dimension 2400, about 5 years old I think. He is running Windows XP Pro. He has Administrator privileges. The motherboard is Rev A000.

He has managed to enter a duff password somehow and he cannot now enter his computer. I thought I would use the Password jumper PSWD on the motherboard to clear the duff password. I downloaded the Manual for the 2400 from the Dell site, and that is where the fun begins!

The manual says "the Password jumper PSWD has the Jumper Plug attached to one pin only for shipping". This is not so, it was definitely connected to both pins. The wording on the motherboard, by the Jumper PSWD pins says OFF CLEAR PASSWORD ON NORMAL.

However, I went through the routine for clearing the password given in the downloaded 2400 manual. Nothing, the computer is still seeking a password. I was not asked to press F1 as a matter of interest either.

My son-in-laws other computer is a Dell Dimensions 8250. I have the manual for that (the procedure would fit a computer with Plug on the jumper pins as above), so I carried out the procedure (page 130/1) given in that. No luck the computer is still seeking a password.

Any help or advice on this would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Galmington

11 Posts

December 17th, 2008 04:00

Hi Hanspuppa,

Many thanks for the help.  I realised later that the Motherboard password jumper does not affect the Windows Password logon!

I had in the end to take the re-install option.  And I have now done that and whilst I had absolutley nothing else on the computer I have added the XP3 upgrade.  I am going to start another thread regarding the drivers I need to install, please go to that one if you can help.

May mnay thanks.

3.4K Posts

December 15th, 2008 05:00

Hello,

If this is the BIOS password and not a Windows startup password ...

Just unplug the system and remove the motherboard battery for 10mins. Replace and you will be good to go. This will reset all the BIOS settings back to the factory defaults. :emotion-15:

11 Posts

December 15th, 2008 08:00

Hi Thereal,

I am trying to erase the Windows Startup password, sorry I should have made that clear.

Thanks for helping.

799 Posts

December 15th, 2008 17:00

Hello Galmington, This  LINK  will take you to Microsoft where you can read the instructions for removing a Windows Password.

I can verify it to work since I used it over the weekend over the phone for another person.

We booted into safe mode to accomplish this.

Schroll down to this section  "Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional"  for your instructions.  

Use the "2.  Reset the password" option and not the 1. option.

Hope this helps.

3.4K Posts

December 17th, 2008 05:00

Hello again,

For a clean install of Windows you need to follow the correct install order as listed below.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed. If your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

No Events found!