Durrthock
1 Nickel

Re: GTX 280 - XPS 630 - PCIe 8x Performance?

So what does this mean If I have a 9800 gx2
0 Kudos
Drange
2 Iron

I think the fundamental problem with Dell is they want to appeal to the "enthusiast" crowd with the XPS 630 but aren't advertising accordingly.  A lot of these issues wouldn't have come up if Dell had followed the basic principle of advertising, know your target audience.  If Dell had done that there would have been a lot more detailed specs shown instead of the bare minimum we got.  Unfortunately for Dell advertising fraud is based on the perception of a reasonable customer that the product is being marketed to, something Dell has failed miserably to do.  That being said, it still doesn't explain the whole no LightFX 2.0 fiasco.
0 Kudos

CUDA applications are currently used mostly by scientist and tech labs.  It's basically a C language platform that convert your GPU to a x86 CPU but is much more powerful than any current Intel CPUs.

GPU + CUDA = Intel CPU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

With that said, I don't think any applications you are using, and probably for the next 5 years, are CUDA based.  CUDA is still being experienced by scientists and universities and not widely available to the public.

0 Kudos
shdbcamping1
3 Silver

All,

There will be a difference with mode X8 versus mode X16. Think of the lanes as DDR memory. when one is full the others can be used instead of waiting or they may just be used to increase throughput. The video cards are wired to the lanes.  8 lanes... only eight ways in and out. 16 lanes twice as many ways in and out. DDR memory got its advantage the same way that more lanes gets its. Just because there is only a full 5 lanes of data, this does not mean it will go out only on 5 lanes. (layman's explanation of PCIe).

Ps. the multiple GPU graphics cards will surpass the 8 lane data throughput very soon... not 3 years down the road.

Sean

0 Kudos
Durrthock
1 Nickel

According to Cpu-z And Gpu-z In my new Dell xps 630 I am running a 750i chipset, with pcie 2.0 at 16x. 

So problem solved, my hdd light blinks though. 

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Durrthock/Proof.jpg

Sorry its a little hard to read. 

0 Kudos
MatexShip
1 Nickel

Chris,

Could you look into the fact that some people are now getting 750i boards? Is this a change or an error in build? My 630i has not arrived yet, I hope it may come with a 750i board. I live in the UK.

Cheers,

MatexShip

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Durrthock
1 Nickel

Hes already looking into it bro, were working on it.
0 Kudos
MatexShip
1 Nickel

Just an update.

I cancelled my original 630 order and returned my GTX 280.

I have now ordered a new 630 with an Nvidia 9800 GX2, which dell are supplying with a 750i mobo.  (Originally DELL UK did not offer the GX2 option)

I now strongly believe that all previous buyers who request it should be provided with a 750i mobo. It's only fair.

Thanks,

MatexShip

Message Edited by MatexShip on 08-01-2008 12:15 PM
0 Kudos
Durrthock
1 Nickel

Its not a fact yet, it could still be a glitch. Unless you read it somewhere on their website.
0 Kudos
ElkWapiti
2 Iron

@MatexShip wrote:

I have now ordered a new 630 with an Nvidia 9800 GX2, which dell are supplying with a 750i mobo.  (Originally DELL UK did not offer the GX2 option)

This may well be true as the GX2 has two GPUs and needs the better board to function properly.

0 Kudos