Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 7th, 2012 17:00

GX 270 processor upgrade

I have a older GX 270 and I got a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz SL7E6 SOCKET 478  and installed it mainly for the hyperhtreading. updated bios and chipset. The bios warns on start up that this processor will only run at 2.8mhz and then runs perfectly. I have read that early GX270's would do this. Mine is from 2004.  So my question is   1). is it really running only at 2.8.....2).   would a newer motherboard accept this processor and let it run at 3.4 mhz (I can get refurbed ones for $20)   3). should I just quit because 2.8 to 3.4 Mhz won't make a significant difference   I have it with a 160 Gb HD   3 Gb of ram and a video card .......Help Pls...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 10th, 2012 13:00

Its running at 2.8 because the voltage regulator onboard does not support that fast a cpu.

October 10th, 2012 13:00

There are post all over that says the GX 270 will support up to a 3.4 pentium. Including people who have done the upgrade. And I understand that the voltage regulator on my motherboard does not support faster but other motherboards (same model later production) do. My question was how can I diferentiate motherboards that will let the 3.4 I have run at full speed> I updated the bios to A07 (the one that says processor upgrades). I can get anew motherboard cheap but want to be sure it is not another one that is locked to 2.8...Thanx

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 01:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                        

No Events found!