Highlighted
elical
1 Nickel

GX150 Hard drive

I have an Optiplex GX150 wiuth A09 BIOS. What is the maximum size IDE HDD I can put in it without a BIOS upgrade? If I was to upgrade the BIOS what BIOS would I need to upgrade to a 100 to 200GB IDE?

Thanks

Message Edited by elical on 02-05-2008 11:44 AM
Message Edited by elical on 02-05-2008 12:01 PM
0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: GX150 Hard drive

elical,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The largest drive that we have tested in this system is 80 gigs. There is no bios upgrade that will allow for larger hard drives. You could possibly go a bit larger than 80 gigs.
Message Edited by DELL-Jesse on 02-05-2008 09:08 AM

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
elical
1 Nickel

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
lpprikej
4 Germanium

bios A10 has some good fixes in it, but either way you should be able to use a 120GB IDE drive. If you just need more space added, I would add a SATA card for Approx $15

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816104003

0 Kudos
elical
1 Nickel

The SATA card is a great idea. Didn't know they existed. However the GX150 doesnt have much room for an extra drive, in fact it is quite limited, therefore I would need to replace the existing 20Gb HDD. Could I use the SATA card via PCI to host the primary OS drive (ie C Drive), or is a host controller only to be utilised for a secondary drive?

Many Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos
elical
1 Nickel

Thanks Jesse

Is there a good place to look for any BIOS release notes for A09 and A10 that would give me the HDD capacity limit?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
lpprikej
4 Germanium

You can boot from an add-on controller.

BIOS option info below:

"IDE Drive Interface: enables or disables the system's integrated enhanced integrated drive electronics (EIDE) hard drive interface. With Auto (the default) selected, the system turns off the integrated EIDE interface when necessary to accommodate a controller card installed in an expansion slot. As part of the boot routine, the system first checks for a primary hard drive controller card installed in an expansion slot. If no card is found, the system enables the integrated EIDE interface to use IRQ14 and IRQ15. If a primary controller is detected on the expansion bus, the integrated EIDE interface is disabled. Selecting Off disables the integrated EIDE interface."

I never saw Dell docs show capacity's with Bios versions. Unless they had a specific problem and fixed it in a Bios release. 

0 Kudos
elical
1 Nickel

Excellent info, much appreciated. Thanks very much.
0 Kudos
ttchwrth
1 Nickel

I have a GX150 that I installed a 160GB WD Caviar HDD into.  BIOS recognized it without any problems, installed WinXPP and everything is good.  My BIOS lvl is A11 (last for the GX150).  I have the better GX150 motherboard without the removable VRM.  It may make a difference.
0 Kudos
elical
1 Nickel

Thanks for the info, how did you go with cooling? Any problems with heat? The GX150 doesnt seem to have much of an airflow path. Don't know if it matters or not.

0 Kudos