Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 2nd, 2004 15:00

GX260 and service pack 2

Has anyone had trouble with installing SP2 on a GX260? Everytime I do, i destroy the PC, and get a blue screen after reboot, with an "inconsistency detected in the PCI Bus Drivers internal structure" error. I have another non dell computer exhibiting the same problem, and they both use an intel 845 chipset. However, the problem only occurs when the other computer has been imaged with our standard image and then SP2, and not with a base XP pro install and then SP2, leading me to believe something in software. I have not tested this on the Dell. I have however, updated the Dell BIOS and windows patches before running SP2.

20 Posts

September 13th, 2004 15:00

Hi

If it is XP service pack 2, try downloading and running driver updates for as many system parts as possible before installing SP2.  This may stop this from happening. 

Don't know if this helps but good luck

23 Posts

September 17th, 2004 17:00

Tried that, but no go. We also run IBM Director (SMS clone), which I thought might be the problem becuase it conflicts with XP on a Dimension 3000, so i uninstalled it and updated to XP SP2, but it still crashed. Next up, Ill install XP form scratch, apply the service pack, and if it doesnt crash, start installling apps till it does.

271 Posts

September 18th, 2004 01:00

definitely software, I've installed it successfully on many gx260s. Or maybe some hardware you've added?

23 Posts

September 22nd, 2004 12:00

Well, I reinstalled XP Pro from scratch and then installed SP2, and had no problem. Reinstalled all of our standard programs and settings and still no problems, so Im not quite sure whats causing this yet.

23 Posts

November 17th, 2004 19:00

Wow, well, since I couldnt install SP2 on any of my dells, I went ahead an applied the other security patches. Apparently one of them is in SP2, because it crashed all my Dells, and Ive now spent many hours cleaning up. Ive certainly learned to test fully. Anyway, no idea what is causing the problem still, but it affects all my Dells running my standard image, and does not do anything to all my IBMs running the same software.
No Events found!