Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

October 31st, 2005 16:00

GX280 CPU Overheating

I have had two GX280's in the past month have cpu overheating problems the pc shuts down and will not reboot after some time with out power attached you can then turn systems back on and everything seems normal the only error i find is during post it told me pc shut down due to thermal event. if i look in the bios log i find cpu temp out of range logged but nothing logged in the winxp event log.  The fans appear to be functioning normally. I did find today thsat the tops of the heat pipes on the heatsink are melted but the pc is up and running fine at this time.
Any thoughts
Thanks
Ken

14 Posts

November 8th, 2005 14:00

It seems that your heatsink which normally contains cooling gaz is empty.
Try to swap the heatsink with another or call technical support for replacement.
Do you have a Thermal event error message Before Windows loads ?

1 Message

November 8th, 2005 21:00

I have had the same problem with 8 of the 12 Optiplex GX280's I have bought.  They are less than a year old, and are used all day long.  I have had to call tech support and replace the motherboard each time to fix this.  I have compaq PC at our other branches, and have had no problems at all.  I see a couple of major design flaws in the box and a the quality of heatsink.  The box of the GX280 in not vented very well.  It has some small vents on the side, but no real air movement.  Also, all the air that is pull thru the heatsink is blown out the back of the PC in which most of the time is blown up against the back of a desk and then gets pulled right back into the box which raises the temperature in the box.  Then when I try to boot back into windows, it will either freeze up in which the screen goes blank, or it will shut down before windows come up.  Replacing the motherboard solve the issue. 

Second, the heatsink seems to be to flimsy to handle the heat.  I think the combination of the case design and the heatsink intensify the issue which burns up motherboards. 

I am hoping someone from Dell will look into this so I don't have to keep replacing motherboards for the next 2 year.  I am thinking of going back to Compaq PC's if this is not resolved.

Thanks,

Kenneth

10 Posts

November 9th, 2005 02:00

Well i have about 40 to 50 of these boxes that have been purchased over the life of the model and it seems that this has just happened in some of the last boxes we had now wwe are on the gx620 models. Of these with the problem one has been back functiong normally for about a month now and the other has been up for over a week stragiht now with out failing agian but thanks for the info i guess if it happens agian i will replace heatsinks and see what happens

Thanks

Ken

9 Posts

October 25th, 2006 14:00

I have about 60 of these GX280 and one (so far) is giving me the CPU out of range alert. About 4 times in 2 weeks. The fans are running. It also blue screens and I have reimaged it twice. The caps look fine - even the ones near the heat sink but remain very hot after unplugging- even for 10 min. It's in warranty so I think am going to ask for new MB but wonder if it has a heat sink problem- then it will do it again.
Will Dell hassle me if the caps are fine still says fan is out of range?

10 Posts

October 25th, 2006 15:00

So far it has been the Motherboard on everyone of mine.
Ken

9 Posts

October 25th, 2006 17:00

no nothing in the event log -
but it is in a school lab-so I have to work around their schledules- I know about the heat sink issues- I might try that after school one day. Would a heat sink from a GX270 fit into a GX280? I have a 270 sitting here that I have to replace the power supply.
thanks
No Events found!