Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2010 11:00

GX280 needs new graphics card

I have an Optiplex GX280 (Small MiniTower) with on-board graphics chipset (INTEL 82915G/GV/910GL), PCI bus only, not sure of PSU rating, running Win XP Pro.

I do not use the PC for gaming - only Internet browsing, the usual office applications and photo editing (i.e. good colour needed). 

I have just bought an LCD monitor which would apparently run best at  a res of 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz, which is beyond the capability of my on-board graphics chipset. To achieve this resolution I need to buy a new graphics card, but with the constraints that it is PCI bus, operates within my PSU capabilities, and I don't want to  spend more than is desirable.

Two questions :

1) Please can anyone advise a suitable card (available on the UK market)

2) On installing that card I presumably need to disable the on-board graphics - but how ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Mjeuk

3.7K Posts

March 17th, 2010 16:00

Hi Mjeuk, Your system specks are HERE, and you have an PCIex16 card slot on your mobo with an 250w PSU. How about an ATI HD 4550, or an ATI 4650, or an Nvidia 220. You wont have to disable you onboard graphics card slot. 

Small Mini-Tower

full-height cards supported

PCI

connectors

three

connector size

120 pins

connector data width (maximum)

32 bits

PCI Express

connector

one x1 and one x16

connector size

36 pins (x1) and 120 pins (x16)

connector data width (maximum)

one PCI Express lane (x1) and 16 PCI Express lanes (x16)

14 Posts

March 18th, 2010 06:00

Hi RobinBredin,

Thanks very much indeed for that advice .... I'm also very pleased to be shown the config of my PC on the Dell website - never found that before

Regards   MjeUK

No Events found!