Highlighted
8 Krypton

GX280 to GX270 transplant

Jump to solution

I have depended on various configurations of the GX270 for years and consider it a work horse of a computer.  I have several of these boxes in various stages of bootability.  

Recently a friend who was still using a GX280 for some side applications had a motherboard failure. The HDD from the failed GX280 seems to be fine and he has some irreplaceable apps on the system.

I know these boxes were very similar so in my ignorance i tried swapping his system drive into one of my spare boxes, without success.  

So the question is, is it at all feasible with some tinkering to get a GX280 system HDD to boot a GX270?   If so where do  I start?

TIA for any info or ideas.

ed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Xenon

RE: GX280 to GX270 transplant

Jump to solution

The chipsets are different enough that it's going to be difficult if not impossible to get this to work, particularly with Windows 7 or newer.  You can easily find a GX280 mainboard for between $20-50 online -- that's the route to take rather than reverse-engineering a Windows installation.  You may want to set aside a couple of boards depending upon how long the system will need to be in use.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The chipsets are different enough that it's going to be difficult if not impossible to get this to work, particularly with Windows 7 or newer.  You can easily find a GX280 mainboard for between $20-50 online -- that's the route to take rather than reverse-engineering a Windows installation.  You may want to set aside a couple of boards depending upon how long the system will need to be in use.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Good to know - saved me a headache - thanks for the info.

ed

0 Kudos