Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2006 19:00

GX520 / Disabling integrated video

I haven't been able to find any information on how to disable/jumper the onboard graphics adapter, in order to use a second adapter in its place. I'd hoped the absence of information online meant, "The motherboard automatically detects the presence of an alternative graphics adapter and disables the integrated graphics as needed," but this doesn't seem to be the case. :D

System info:

Optiplex GX520
Windows XP Professional / SP2
Integrated graphics: Intel 82945G Express Chipset
New graphics adapter:
EVGA e-GeForce FX5500 / PCI
S-video and DVI outputs
Low-profile form factor

19 Posts

September 3rd, 2006 14:00

Hi, FLJerseyBoy,

I bought a GX520(SSF) last year. And I also want to use two monitor at the same time. If you solved your problem, could you please tell me where to order that video card and how to install it.

Thanks, and good luck for you,

11 Posts

September 3rd, 2006 16:00

Volcanofire:

I got the card here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130255

Dunno if it will solve your dual-monitor problem; I was just after the DVI output (and low-profile card, of course).

One thing I did NOT find, btw, was a low-profile PCI card with DVI output *and* 256MB RAM. This card is only 128MB, so factor that in if you're hoping to use it for something graphics-intensive.

11 Posts

I have seen some posts (here and elsewhere) about disabling the onboard graphics card for this (or similar) models. These posts say it's fairly simple: just disable the Intel graphics card using Device Manager. Simple, right?

But I don't get this. I've got the new card installed, and I've installed its drivers from the accompanying CD. If I disable the onboard graphics, what happens to my video *at that time*? Is it one of those things that requires a reboot to take effect, allowing me to enable the new card before doing so?

(Somewhat embarrassed to be asking a patently newbie question!)

11 Posts

P.S. to volcanofire: You may read some reviews of the EVGA card which say it doesn't come with the low-profile bracket (although the card itself is low-profile). This may have been true in the past. Mine, though, came with a low-profile bracket in a separate little plastic bag. The card itself is mounted on a full-height bracket -- swapping the brackets requires a small socket wrench and a Phillips-head screwdriver, and takes about 5 minutes. Most of that 5 minutes is spent crawling around on the carpet looking for the dropped screw. Ahem.

Message Edited by FLJerseyBoy on 09-03-200612:58 PM

19 Posts

September 4th, 2006 21:00

Thanks, FLJerseyBoy.

Waiting your good news and solutin procedure.

11 Posts

September 19th, 2006 12:00

Resolution: card I mentioned above works just fine, for the purpose I described. (I haven't tried it with dual monitors.)

The key is to remove/disable the integrated Intel video drivers in Device Manager, and then install/enable the counterparts for the new card before restarting. Worked like a dream. I don't know why I was so nervous. :)
No Events found!