Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2005 10:00

GeForce 7800 GTX

Has anyone got one of these cards to work in a DELL Dimension 5150? Just need to know as I received my new DELL Dimension 5150 2 days ago and whenever I put the card in the screen has artifacts all over it even at the boot screen. This goes on and when the card gets into windows sometimes you can use it for a few minutes before the monitor stops receiving a signal. Only way back is to shut down the pc by holding down the power button. Have tried all the latest drivers and chipset utilitys. Also I am running Windows Media Centre 2005.

The card is a Geforce 7800 GTX PCI-Express. I have a DELL Dimension 5150 with 1Gb of RAM and also a 3.4GHz processor. The PSU was upgraded as is running at 580W.

Cheers. Any suggestions welcome.

October 16th, 2005 13:00

The card has been in several times so I am sure that it has been seated right and the power connector has snapped onto the card and cant be removed unless you press the latch..

Are you sure its a faulty card? Does the dell dimension motherboard support this card? its intel 945g chipset

563 Posts

October 16th, 2005 13:00

did you make sure that

1). the card is properly seated in the pci-express slot?

2). the 6-pin power connector is attached to the card all the way?

other than that i dont know it may be a faulty card

October 16th, 2005 17:00

how can i make sure of that?

Surely it shouldnt overheat when its just booting up? The screen get distorted even when the pc first switches on.

October 16th, 2005 17:00

make sure it's not overheating.  You said that it works fine for a while, then the screen goes blank. 

563 Posts

October 16th, 2005 18:00

probably a faulty card. exchange it for a new one and see what happens

2 Posts

October 18th, 2005 15:00

sorry to hijack this corupthalo  ;-)

but how was the PSU installation? What brand Power supply did you use? Did you use any special Dell connectors? I'm having a heck of a time getting anything definitive on this subject.

Thanks in advance!

October 18th, 2005 16:00

It may not be getting enough power from the PSU. The symptoms you describe are concurrent with those that occured the couple times I've tried to boot my system after forgetting to plug the power cord back into the videocard.

October 18th, 2005 16:00

I used a Hiper Type-R Series 580W. It came out of my old p4 which I didnt need so much power for anymore. Was a bit scary swopping it out but thought that was what was causing my geforce failures. I didnt need any special connectors but I checked the colour code of the cables from the new power supply to the dell one to make sure..

Hope this helps.

2 Posts

October 18th, 2005 17:00

Thanks for the info! It'll be scary when I try it too......  :-)

563 Posts

October 18th, 2005 21:00

:smileyhappy:

nice rig drew and not u. me jealous :smileysad: 

No Events found!