Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2012 10:00

GeForce 8800 GT Video Issues/Crashing – Please Help

Hello,

This weekend I started receiving nvlddmkm errors and blue screens. I would notice blue and red pixels appearing randomly across my display and the screen would flash bank and forth from the desktop to a black screen. The “nvlddmkm stopped responding but has recovered” message would appear frequently in the system tray and occasionally the PC would just lockup or lose the display all together.

I figured this was some sort of video card driver issue, but the problem persisted after rolling back to previous drivers. I did a full manual wipe and fresh install of  Vista 32-bit yesterday.  I thought the issue was resolved, but again last night I saw the pixels reappearing and the “nvlddmkm stopped responding but has recovered” messages again. I tried switching monitors but the issue is present on both.

I am at a loss on how to proceed. I am worried it may be my video card but wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here are some of my system specs:

DELL XPS 630i - Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.40GHz,1066FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB

Thanks

-Zach

1.5K Posts

July 9th, 2012 10:00

I would take the card out and reseat it in its slot and make sure it is free of any dust accumulation.  Do you know what driver version you are using?  Download a new driver from either Dell or directly from Nividia's web site.   Completely uninstall the driver and any other Nvidia software from your add/remove program file and then install the new one.  

The 8800 GT is an old card and tends to run hot so it has the potential to go bad over time.  Equivalent cards today run cooler, use less power and perform better if a replacement is needed.  

7 Posts

July 9th, 2012 12:00

Thank You for the response. I will take a look at the card and re-seat it tonight. I believe I have the driver that came originally, but I will verify that tonight and try the newest driver.

Can you suggest any comparable cards to replace it with? I'm not well versed in all of the cards out there now. I believe I need a PCI-e 2.0 card, if it needs replaced I liked to find and affordable one that is comparable to my current 8800.

Thanks again

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 9th, 2012 12:00

The Geforce 8800 was a top end card.  With a newer Power supply I would recommend a Geforce 560 TI card with 1.5 Gigs or 3 Gigs of Video Ram.  You should install the latest WHQL drivers and the June Directx Patch.

Download: DirectX Redist (June 2010) - Microsoft Download Center ...

Version:301.10 WHQL
Release Date: 2012.03.22
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/301.10/301.10-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/295.73/295.73-desktop-winxp-32bit-english-whql.exe

This is the first WHQL-certified driver from the R295 family of drivers. It is the recommended upgrade for all GeForce users, especially those playing the latest hot PC games like Diablo III, Mass Effect 3, or The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. These drivers come packed with GeForce-exclusive performance and quality enhancements and are now Microsoft WHQL-certified. Read the full GeForce 295.73 driver article on GeForce.com

7 Posts

July 9th, 2012 13:00

Tank You for the reply SpeedStep. If a new card is necessary, can you recommended any that I can plug into my rig without having to upgrade anything else?

I've been very pleased with my system thus far and would like to keep it going, I'm more of a console gamer now so I don't really need anything more powerful than the 8800 that's currently in there.

1.5K Posts

July 9th, 2012 19:00

The GTS 450 would have similar performance as a replacement card today.   However, compare costs with the better GTX 550 Ti HERE as it is a better card and the price may be similar.  My choice would be the latter and the EVGA brand.  You will not have to replace your power supply.  

7 Posts

July 10th, 2012 05:00

Thank You Kelbear. I tried your suggestions from yesterday. I pulled out the card, cleaned the case of dust and reseated it. I then brought everything back up and did all windows and driver updates. So far so good. The system ran for several hours last night without issue.

I'm currently current on driver version 8.17.12.9619 for the 8800 GT.

I also pulled this from Problems and Solutions, this was the error I received Sunday night:

Product
Windows

Problem
Video hardware error

Date
7/8/2012 8:28 PM

Status
Not Reported

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20120708-2028.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 8664A3C8
BCP2: 8E411E40
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 12th, 2012 06:00

Given the age of the Card I am betting that the card is bad.  Unfortunately the 8XXX series gpu's had heat/soldering issues.

7 Posts

July 12th, 2012 06:00

System Blue screened again last night :emotion-6: After a reboot windows reported it was caused by an nVidia driver issue.

Is there are any way to determine if the card has gone bad verses just a driver issue?

7 Posts

July 13th, 2012 09:00

Thanks. Problem only seems to be getting worse. Going to purchase a card today and try it out this weekend. Looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti that kelbear recommended.

No Events found!