Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2017 10:00

Get hard drive out of case on old Dell desktop?

I just replaced a Dell Optiplex 755 Small Form Factor desktop.  (The rear fan failed, and I was looking to upgrade anyway.)

I'd like to re-use the 240GB Seagate Barracude 5.25" SATA HD, setting it up in an enclosure connected to the new machine by USB3.

The problem is, I  can't figure out how to get it out of the plastic mounting case with attached fan, without simply breaking the case.  I assume it's doable, as hard drives are moving parts, and moving parts  can break and need replacement, but I don't how how to do it on this

I *am* a tech, with 30+ years in IT starting on mainframes, and have built systems from components, so not seeing how to do this is annoying.  I generally *can* figure out how to do stuff like this without a manual.

Pointers to instructions gratefully accepted, even if they involve giggles at missing what should have been obvious. 

>Dennis

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 25th, 2017 14:00

The service manual has the details.

www.dell.com/.../manuals

3 Posts

March 25th, 2017 14:00

Thanks for attempting to help, but unfortunately, it doesn't.  I have the manual you pointed to.   I could get the drive out of the machine easily enough, and already had.

What I'm having trouble doing is getting it out of the black plastic assembly with attached fan it is embedded in.  The Dell box was a refurb, so it's possible that wasn't original equipment, but was used by the refurbisher when assembling the system.

Still trying...

>Dennis

3 Posts

March 25th, 2017 20:00

And as it happens, the problem is solved.  After some fiddling, I was able to pop the drive out of the plastic mounting case.  It's now installed as a secondary drive in the replacement machien and performing well.

Thanks for attempts to help.

>Dennis

No Events found!