Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2013 09:00

Getting Inspiron Running Windows8 out of Power Save Mode

I have a Dell Inspiron 660s running Windows 8 along with a Dell S2330MX monitor.  I too have this issue with the monitor showing that it's entering power save mode.  The only way I know to get this back is to power cycle the CPU.  There seems to a lot of chatter around this topic with different OS flavors, but I haven't found a real fix yet, and most posting do not reference Win8.   Is there anything I can do  to stop this behavior?    Thanks.

February 16th, 2013 11:00

After the machine has been idle for sometime, (say overnight).  

1) The LED on the CPU is white, and the LED on the Monitor is amber.  

2) I mess with the mouse and keyboard a bit.  The LED on the Monitor turns white, and I get the display that it's entering power save mode.  

3) This is up for a few seconds before the screen goes blank, and the monitor LED returns to Amber.

I can repeat (2), but the only way to get out of this loop is to hard boot the CPU.  Which seems to indicate the CPU is the culprit.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 16th, 2013 11:00

Hi RockyMountains,

"Entering power save mode" is the message displayed by the monitor when it loses a video signal from the computer. My question is whether you see this after the computer goes into sleep mode or hibernate. Hibernate is essentially a power-down mode, so the power button is off. Sleep mode is a descreased power usage state, so the power light is dimmed or amber. Tell me which one you see.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 16th, 2013 17:00

What's the connection to the monitor, DVI or HDMI?

February 16th, 2013 21:00

Standard 15-pin  DVI? connector.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2013 03:00

Ok, let's just verify this is a sleep issue. Boot to the BIOS or UEFI, whichever you've got, and disable sleep mode. Then run the system and see if the monitor goes into power save.

February 20th, 2013 10:00

Hello,

I am having the exact same problem. Tried a hard shutown and restart and it just restarted right into the power save mode (which surprised me, because in the past the hard shutdown fixed the problem). I don't know how to "boot to the BIOS or UEFI" - what does that mean and how do I try it? I have only had my computer for maybe a month or two and this problem has happened 4 or 5 times now!

Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 20th, 2013 16:00

Hi MissMeliss2013,

What's the model of your Dell? Do you have Windows 8? Since your system is new, I assume you have already tried to contact Dell tech support, but if not, I encourage you to call them to get the service ball rolling.

1 Message

June 20th, 2013 02:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 660s running Windows 8 along with a Dell S2330MX monitor.  I too have this issue with the monitor showing that it's entering power save mode.  The only way I know to get this back is to power cycle the CPU.  There seems to a lot of chatter around this topic with different OS flavors, but I haven't found a real fix yet, and most posting do not reference Win8.   Is there anything I can do  to stop this behavior?    Thanks.

No Events found!