Highlighted
tonyman262
1 Nickel

Getting the most out of Dual Video Cards: CrossFire or SLI

Hi Guys

What are the best ways to connect dual monitors to dual video cards?

If these questions have been answered elsewhere please point me to the location whether it's in these forums or somewhere else on the Net.

I have searched the web, and looked on websites for both ATI & nVidia. I can find plenty of specs, benchmark scores, and technology updates but no simple anwers to how to connect dual monitors to dual cards.

For instance; should you connect one monitor to the top card and one monitor to the bottom card?

Should both monitors be connected to the top card in the chassis?

Since most high-end cards now come with 2 dvi connectors does it matter if you connect to the left or right connector?

ATI's website does not list a manual for the Radeon 5970 and my Alienware Area-51 does not come with a manual for the card either hard copy or PDF.

At one time you could not use SLI mode with dual monitors; is that still the case and is it the same for Crossfire?

Does anyone know if Eyefinity is supported on dual Radeon HD 5870's in Crossfire mode? I know it uses 3 monitors.

If I were going to buy new monitors today to work with the ATI video cards (5870 and 5970) which connectors should I be sure are on the new monitors for best possible results?

Lastly, for the Windows Experience Index (Windows 7 or Vista); are there particular scores that apply to specific components?

For instance should an Intel i7-980x give a Processor subscore of 7.9 or an ATI Radeon HD 5870 or 5970 video card give a Graphics or Gaming graphics subscore of 7.0 or 7.9 or somwhere in between?

Thanks guys for any help you may offer.

Tonyman262

0 Kudos
2 Replies
beany323
2 Iron

Re: Getting the most out of Dual Video Cards: CrossFire or SLI

i'l ask if your in sli or crossfire. Not sure how those connect but it may help in your search.

0 Kudos
beany323
2 Iron

Re: Getting the most out of Dual Video Cards: CrossFire or SLI

hmm maybe i misread the question(s).. sorry.

0 Kudos