Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2013 12:00

Graphic Card Driver Problem?

Hello, I have an XPS8500, Windows Home Premium, 64 bit. When I connected it to a Dell 24” monitor via HDMI, there is a half inch black gap along all four sides. In other words, the window doesn’t fill the screen completely.
I searched the Internet and took the advice on downloading ATI CCC. It didn’t solve the problem and made things worse – now it only has limited and weird resolution choices up to only 1400x1050. The advanced settings now don’t show any information about Adapter Type, Chip Type … Seems like no graphic card or no driver for it. I don’t remember exactly the card type, but recall adapter type being ADM Radeon x300/x500/x01….
Run Diagnostics using System Recovery Disc found no problem nor solution.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.
-XL

April 19th, 2013 02:00

Hi xlxl,

First try to perform a factory default on your monitor. And when you press the menu button on your monitor and find the optimal resolution, check in your User Manual of you monitor and set the correct Optimal Resolution for your monitor. HDMI is capable of handling 1920x1080. So set the above resolution before trying the below mentioned steps.

www2.ati.com/.../13-1_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe Try this...

Or dell drivers: www.dell.com/.../xps-8500

Steps:

First uninstall the drivers from device manager - Choose delete driver checkbox and click OK

Then uninstall Catalyst Control Centre from Programs and Features.

Restart computer

Then download and install the first link.

Restart computer

If the first link doesnt work for you. Do the above steps with the second link. Post the results.

6 Posts

April 19th, 2013 16:00

Yes!

The second link (www.dell.com/.../xps-8500) worked perfectly! The first link didn't, which was the one I'd been trying to use. So it appears that ATI doesn't have the right/working driver for this card on their site, given that it couldn't recommend one automatically and I failed many times trying anything on their site that is remotely close. But the one on Dell site worked just fine! Hope this tedious exploration will be helpful to others too.

Thanks so much to both of you. You guys are the best!

1.3K Posts

April 18th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

Please click on the link below for steps to adjust the digital display to fit-to-scale.

Use the Scaling option available within the AMD Vision Engine Control Centre to adjust the screen to fit the digital display. This should help resolve the issue for you.

Let me know if further help is needed.

http://bit.ly/ZcO7qD

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

6 Posts

April 18th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for the quick response. The problem is I don't think I have it and tried to download it and that made things worse. Should I try again? Also the Autodetect and Install doesn't work. I have to guess the type of my card ... ...

1.3K Posts

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Please let me know if you installed the video drivers from the AMD website or from the Dell Support Website.

Since the video drivers have been re-installed several times, you may need  to first un-install the driver from the Device Manager, re-boot the system and then attempt re-installation again.

Please check the link below for FAQs on the AMD Vision Engine Control Centre.

http://bit.ly/17Jorpo

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

6 Posts

Tried again. Seemed installed 'successfully', reboot, nothing changed, can't even see AMD Vision Engine Control Centre ...

6 Posts

April 18th, 2013 14:00

Thanks again! I've been installing from here:www.amd.com/.../vision-engine.aspx. Each time I run amd-cleanup-utility first, which seems working. I suspect that I am not installing the right driver. But again, the auto-detect-and-install failed to suggest any driver. It does say the Graphic Hardware is 0x1002-0x675D PCIE, and the white label on the card says ATI 102 C33402(B). Any idea which driver to install? Thanks!

1.3K Posts

April 18th, 2013 17:00

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

You can check the original system configuration of your computer by clicking on the link below. Enter the system service tag number and then click System Configuration. Once you have confirmed the make of the video card, install the relevant drivers from the Dell Support Website. Please select the correct Operating system.

First, un-install the existing driver, re-boot the system and then try to re-install the drivers.

http://dell.to/11fD55W

Also, you may try updating the BIOS from the same link. Please ensure there is no disk in the Optical drive and no external USB devices are connected to the computer.

Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

6 Posts

April 18th, 2013 23:00

Thanks again!

It's AMD Radeon HD7570. Tried install again a couple of times from http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx NO Luck! It always seems installed sucessfully, but nothing really happened!

No Events found!