Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2017 15:00

Graphics Discrete or Integrated?

This is a quote from the official Dell Support Features Site.

"Graphics 
Watch your screen come to life with the integrated Intel graphics* or optional Intel and NVIDIA discrete graphics* that further maximize your viewing experience. "

Now how do I tell if my pc includes the "Integrated"?  First off, there is no Operating System, so was booting from Linux Live USB. 

I know it has a Nvidia Card because I took it out and cleaned it up, and looked at the specs from Speccy.  I also looked at the Specs from Linux, and that did not show that there are any Integrated Graphics, but I would not know for sure if it would tell me when Nvidia was being used.  If there are both wouldn't it show in the Speccy?  Or would I have to go into the BIOS?

This is my last post until this CAPATCHA thing is straightened out.

And, I was not able to post to thank the last person that helped me out.  Not sure if this is on my end or this Forum, but all other websites seem to be working.

Thanks, user1190

2.3K Posts

December 14th, 2017 17:00

If you have an Intel Chip then it has the Intel integrated graphics. It is built into the CPU.  I don't know how linux would tell you, but you can find it in Windows using the control panel and system option.

161 Posts

December 14th, 2017 19:00

Ahhh, I see.  There is no Windows Installed.  I will post what Linux tells me with the inbuilt software available.  But like you say, if it is an Intel Chip then it is there.  

I was getting a black screen with no post.  

Then I restarted with DVI Cable instead of VGA, and it came up and ran.

I have now cleaned up the Nvidia Card, and reset all Connections to the MB, along with a Power cycle.

I thought Linux would tell me if there were Dual Graphics Present but I guess I was wrong.

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 310] bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: vesa Resolution: 1680x1050@0.0hz

GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX

I was getting Six Beeps on startup and am hoping that reseating all the connections on the MB will fix this, including RAM.  I did not see any burnt looking devices on the MB either.  Some other stuff also, but I will need to start it up again tomorrow and see how it works now.  I will try to access the inbuilt Dell testing also.

If Nvidia Card is bad, can I uninstall it and just run the Integrated Graphics?

Thanks 1190

December 14th, 2017 21:00

I have found from my experience with Linux (Ubuntu and Linux Mint) to be very forgiving of the hardware.  I am by no means a Linux expert but have taken old equipment and gotten additional years of life out of it with that operating system.  The Driver managers inside Linux seem to find the appropriate drivers for the present connected equipment.  In general, if you are looking at using an add in graphics card, I think there is more support for Nvidia products.  AMD and Intel driver support continues to improve for Linux.  There are GPU comparison hierarchy charts on the web that can provide some guidance on which of your available options could provide the best performance for you.

If you can tell which cpu you have or what that pc model was built with, you'll be able to search whether it has integrated graphics.  Most Intel chips in consumer pc's have integrated graphics.  AMD cpu's depending on the series will or won't have integrated graphics.  AMD models that feature Integrated graphics are called APU's.

If you pull your Nvidia card and connect your monitor through one of the motherboard outputs, I believe Linux will load the required driver for you.  I have had good success with inexpensive Nvidia 210 cards in my Linux machines.  They work fine for surfing the web and taking care of emails at a low price point.  I hope that helps.

161 Posts

December 15th, 2017 09:00

Yes, that is a lot of help.  Looks like the CPU does have Integrated Graphics

ark.intel.com/.../Intel-Core-i3-530-Processor-4M-Cache-2_93-GHz

I think I will instal Windows 7 on this, but who knows.  I may want to sell it but have not had good luck selling any computers lol.  Again, I thought when there were Two Graphics devices present that it would show that in Linux inxi, but it did not, so will have to look into that.

Thanks, 1190

No Events found!