Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2016 07:00

HARD DRIVE FAILURE ERROR CODE 2000-0142

Hi,

I have a DELL XPS8500 desktop and I have this error code: 2000-0142. I know it means that the HD needs to be replaced. When I chose to boot in partition, I do see the C disk so I'm still confident to be able to recover personal datas at some point but that the Windows booting partition is damaged....

I don't have any recovery nor Windows hardcopy but went from Windows 7 to 10 a few months ago.

I downloaded the Windows Media to create a Windows.ISO on a DVD or USB drive.

I tried to boot from the DVD but it failed to reactivate and reinstalled Windows as I guess the Internal HD is really screwed.

My questions:

- If I install a new HD, should it be straight foward to reinstalled Window by booting from the media DVD?

- Could my damage HD could be access as a ''standard drive after'' as I guess that it may be hopefully just the Windows partition that is damaged.......

Does Dell can supply a Recovery with my Service tag and Express service code?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2016 20:00

If you've already activated 10 on the system, you can reinstall it at any time.  You'll need the same version (10 or 10 Pro) you had - you can get the ISO from Microsoft and put it on a flash drive to do the installation.  Once 10 is activated, you have a digital entitlement on the system that allows reinstallation.

It is better to remove the faulty drive from the system and reconnect it once you have WIndows reloaded - to try and copy the data.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 7th, 2016 05:00

Try to use a Linux Live USB such as Fedora to recover your data:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/data-recovery-using-fedora/

Replace your faulty HDD with a SSD, HSSD or HDD and then clean install Windows. See here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

4 Posts

August 9th, 2016 17:00

Hi, thanks for your links.

I managed to re-install Windows on a new hard drive. Working fine. I connected my faulty Hard Drive but it is not recognized by Windows. Well it is not completely true because it is being seen in the hardware disk manager where I can see it is connected to SATA 2 port and that the ''disk is functioning properly'' Hey Hey!!

The thing is that  this morning, it was not initially recognize and at a moment after a reboot, it was assigned to letter L:  Good!!!!........ . Now it is not recognized at all. :(

What is strange is that when it was recognized, it was shown as having 900 Mbytes( out of 1 TB)  of free space which in theory, shouldn't be the case as I had roughly 900 MB of data on it.

I suspect a damage sector that void the ''access'' to my data making Windows think it's free space.......well if it was that simple..

But for now, it is not recognized.

Any hints?

Ciao

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 10th, 2016 12:00

Use Fedora and not Windows to see if you can get something off your old drive...

4 Posts

August 10th, 2016 14:00

fedora doesn't see the drive either. I downloaded Testdisk as it seemed to be related to somehow my harddisk issue. Is it a software someone ever used before?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 11th, 2016 04:00

The decision you should make now:  Is the data important enough to be worth the cost of data recovery?  If it is, stop trying the home fixes and send the drive to a data recovery service -- chances are they'll get the data back.  It won't be cheap (figure a minimum of $600 and possibly quite a bit more depending on what's needed), but it's the surest way.

If not, and you can afford to lose the data, there's no harm in trying - though if neither LInux nor Windows can read the drive, it's very far gone and the probability of recovering data without the use of forensic experts is very low.

No Events found!