Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2011 01:00

HD4850 fails

Hi guys, first time here.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435MT with the HD4850. It has failed 3 times and has been accordingly replaced.

It has failed after just 6 days, a new record, but I think this time its driver related.

It has what looks like 100s of vertical green equal signs all over the screen after Windows 7 bootscreen.

I can boot to safemode and then into normal after uninstalling drivers. If I try to reinstall drivers of ANY version

it will fail again. I'm unable to find this issue anywhere else. Help much appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 19th, 2011 03:00

I have an HD4850 installed on my PC.  It is about 2 years old. 

Reseat the video card and see if that helps.  Reseat - with the PC powered off, disconnect the video cable to the monitor, then open the case and remove the Video Card, then reinstall making sure it's fully and correctly seated.  Reconnect the Video cable, power on and see if that helps.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 19th, 2011 03:00

Hi Tommytg,

When you run the diagnostics, everything checks out ok hardware-wise?

3 Posts

February 19th, 2011 12:00

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already tried that. The PC boots if I disable the card, but the PC lacks an integrated one.

So I'm still using the HD4850 to output. This is a weird issue.

3 Posts

February 19th, 2011 12:00

Hardware diagnostics turn up fine using the Dell boot utility tools

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 19th, 2011 13:00

I would strongly consider a clean installation of the operating system, or if your system originally came with this same model video card, an OS restore. Then if you continue to have difficulties, I would pursue a system exchange with Dell.

1 Message

February 26th, 2011 07:00

My 435 mt started doing this about a month and a half ago.  I believe it happend right about the time of a win 7 update for about week after the update it kept telling me there was a problem with my card.  I tried the card in another computer so I know the card is good. This morning  I am on the verge of pulling it out and driving over it.

No Events found!