Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2014 17:00

HDD failure or something else?

Hi, I have  a XPS One 2710.

it, 32GB SSD, 3.5" 2TB 7200RPM SARA HDD, NVIDIA GT640M video, 2 x 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM @ 1600mnx, Win 8.1.  All the drivers, BIOS etc are up to date.  About 2 years old.

Recently, it's taken to random shut downs.  2 variants:

1. Will crash when in sleep mode, and I arrive to a dos prompt message along the lines of "can't boot from the device...  f2 to enter setup (i.e. BIOS) or attempt to reboot".   It wont  boot on attempt... only way id to power off.  and then it will boot into win no problems

2. Whilst in use, becomes unresponsive (intermittent), then a general freeze.  I can also hear a very faint beep from the back of the machine.  Then it blue screens.  Then it will restart / boot form here.

I have noticed on entering BIOS after it crashed that the HDD isn't recognized.  So, I can see why it can't find the boot device.  If I change boot device order... eventually the mSata HDD registers in the Devices section.  This seems odd?

I've run all the Dell diagnostics (all clear) , re-installed windows etc... and still happening. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

3 Posts

November 13th, 2014 03:00

Given the deluge of the responses in answering my question (not). I thought I would self-answer.  Yes, it was the HDD.  Swapped out for an equivalent and no problems.  Thanks me.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

November 7th, 2014 12:00

The Diagnostics runs only a Quick Test of the hard drive. You need to select a Custom extended test to determine if the drive is failing. http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN129400/en

3 Posts

November 8th, 2014 20:00

Thanks.  I have run both... and all clear?  

No Events found!