Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2010 17:00

HDMI connector to second monitor

Is it possible to connect a second monitor using the HDMI connection on the back of my Zuni 400?

I'd get an HDMI to VGA 6-foot cable if it's possible.

I need a second monitor away from my desk to serve as our "TV."

But I'll get a VGA splitter if that's a bad idea. Any help appreciated. Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2010 18:00

Hi Susyhammer,

Are you trying to duplicate the picture through the external monitor or show a different picture? Did you check your manual under multi-media?

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 19:00

Yes, kicking and screaming has occurred quite enough already with this computer. It came with Vista. Enough said.

As I said, I think I'll abandon HDMI. It was just a thought anyway. Just in case it was a duh solution - I know nothing about HDMI.

5 Posts

I want the same picture - just a considerable distance from my workstation.

I'm ashamed to say that I did NOT consult the manual. Usually I do, and I will right now. But another reply has me thinking that I'll probably get a VGA cable splitter and a longish extension.

Thanks.

881 Posts

The VGA splitter/ext. will get you the video but not the sound. You might want to keep that in mind when you are buying cables.............

Jeff

Note: That should be 'nough said.

881 Posts

I am no expert on the Zuni. That said; on my system when a discreet video card is installed the onboard HDMI port is disabled. I about drove myself nuts checking drivers & so on until I was told that little tidbit.

I don't know if it is the same situation on a Zuni. But the info MIGHT save you some kicking and screaming.

Jeff

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 20:00

The splitter will cut off ALL sound? The "TV" monitor will be close enough to hear the speakers from my computer. We just want to be able to sit on the loveseat and watch - my tiny office is only big enough for one chair (studio apt. in high rise). 

Will using the splitter eliminate sound? Please say no....

5 Posts

OK got it. Yay. Thanks a lot. You've been so helpful. (There are no "rooms" here. LOL)

Susy

881 Posts

No. That's not what I meant at all!! The HDMI cable will carry both video and sound. The VGA video only. You won't "have" to do anything else as long as you can hear it. Deep breath....... You said a "distance" from the computer. I thought you meant another room.

No worries.

Jeff

881 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 21:00

Hope I helped a little. I understand about the space... I have a friend who went to law school in NYC, he lived in a closet. Here in Mid-Missouri I have a smallish 2 BR apt/$350 month. Highway robbery!!!!

Jeff

No Events found!