Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2009 11:00

HDMI monitor resolution problem on Dell ST2310/Inspiron 537/Radeon 4350

I'm not getting 1920x1080 resolution on my Dell ST2310 monitor using a Radeon 4350 graphics card using the HDMI output.  I'm getting about 1" black horizontal and vertical black bars.   Strangely, I get perfect 1920x1080 when I use the DVI output from the video card to the monitor.  I've checked the screen resolution setting in Windows 7 and on the monitor and it's 1920x1080 (monitor just says resolution = 1080p).  Does anyone have any advice?

January 28th, 2010 09:00

Success!  Thank you!

It worked for me, but my settings were VERY tricky to find (someone send this to ATI and to Dell, both companies don't have a clue about this setting). 

Here were my steps (For Version 2009.0614.2131.36800):

1. Open your Catalyst Control Center in Advanced mode.

2. Find the upper left menu titled: Graphics

3. Select "Desktops & Displays"

4. IMPORTANT STEP: If you have 2 monitors you will see the big monitors in the middle, and notice the SMALL monitors in the bottom left corner.  RIGHT click on the SMALL monitor in the bottom left hand corner you want to change.

5. Select "Configure"

6. Click on the "Scaling Options" tab.

7. Set it to 0

8. Click Apply

9. Click Ok

You're done.  I hope someone from ATI reads this and notices that this is way too complex even for an advanced user.  The "Configure" menu item should have been included in the drop downs of the big monitors on the screen.  Why only on the very small monitor graphics in the bottom left hand corner?

November 23rd, 2009 12:00

I'm getting the same issue...with my Dell ST2310 monitor and Radeon 4350 graphics card using HDMI output with Windows 7 :(

I hope someone from Dell or ATI can give us some help soon.

1 Message

December 14th, 2009 12:00

I am also getting the same issue.  Had Dell Support on the phone for about an hour checking through settings, etc.  No joy.  Have an open case regarding this issue and will let you know what happens.

268 Posts

December 15th, 2009 11:00

Folks,

Where exactly are you seeing these black bars?

Masi_GC

December 15th, 2009 13:00

They are at the top, right, left, and bottom.  Approximately 1/2 inch.  Pure black.

Normally, I would go into my monitor's menu and stretch the horizontal and vertical screen, however, those menu items are grayed out and not usable.

268 Posts

December 16th, 2009 07:00

tnewman5927,

Those are "overscan borders" and are a common requirement of televisions. The graphics vendor can't tell if the HDMI device is a computer monitor (no overscan) or a television, so they all get overscan when you use HDMI.

In the case of an ATI product, the overscan can be adjusted out via their Catayst utility. Here is a link to an article on their support site:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-18883HowtoConfigureUserDefinedHDTVModesUsingATICATALYSTControlCenter.aspx

Masi_GC

2 Posts

December 16th, 2009 11:00

Has anybody tested and confirmed that this Catalyst utility solves the HDMI output problem people were having?

December 21st, 2009 10:00

It does NOT work for me.  My version of the ATI Catalyst utility (version 2009.0614.2131.36800) does not have the options that allow stretching of the screen. 

Anyone else have a solution that works?

1 Message

January 28th, 2010 03:00

I had same problem and found this thread while trying to fix it, I have now fixed so will post how I did it.

Open Display Settings and open Catalyst Control Center but when it asks you whether to do normal or advanced click advanced.

Then expand the DTV (HDMI) section and click on scaling options and move the bar to 0%, your screen will now be full size.

I just noticed this is mentioned in the guide above but the guide included a lot of other information for component as well as HDMI so it was hard to find, I just worked it out myself.

My screen also seemed to be a bit blurry after plugging in HDMI, I fixed this by clicking on the Displays Manager tab and changing refresh rate to 60hz. You can also do this in the windows Display Settings under the Monitor tab.

BTW, my version of Catalyst is 2009.0312.2223.38381 which is older than one mentioned above so you should have the options I have mentioned

1 Message

February 2nd, 2010 09:00

I experienced a similar issue and was able to resolve.

System:
Dell Studio XPS 8000
Windows 7
ST2310 Monitor
ATI Radeon HD 4350
HDMI Output

1.  Download updated ATI Drivers  http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx?src=CCC-CheckForDriverUpdates
2.  Uninstall existing ATI software and drivers
3.  Install newly downloaded ATI software and drivers
4.  Follow directions here:  http://www.aoclarkejr.com/ati-catalyst-9-9-overcan-and-underscan-options.html

February 12th, 2010 21:00

Thanks for writing this post guys - my problem is similar, and so I thought I'd post it here before starting a new thread. Here are the details of my problem.

I own a Dell Inspiron 13 laptop (Inspiron 1320 laptop, 4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 4330 graphics card, VGA + HDMI output). The computer came with Windows Vista and ATI Catalyst Control Center installed, but I upgraded to Windows 7 and formatted the computer.

I recently also got a Dell ST2310 monitor (birthday present from my friends, Happy Birthday to me!). Now, here’s my setup. The VGA port of my laptop outputs to my old monitor, and the HDMI port outputs to the new Dell monitor.

The problem is that the HDMI doesn’t output to the monitor properly. There’s a frustrating 1 inch black border around all sides.

After a little research, I found out that this is a common overscan and underscan problem with Windows 7 and Ati graphics cards as referenced here. The solution to the problem is apparently found in the settings of the Catalyst Control Center as listed out here.

Okay, simple enough … so I’m trying to download the latest version of the Ati Catalyst Package, so I can have access to this awesome setting that lets me use my $300 purchase. To prepare I have many versions of the Ati Package ready to go including:

• 10-1_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe
  • 9-9_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe
  • 9-9_beta_win7_32_dd_CC.exe
  • And a slightly older version of the Ati Installer found within my Dell Backup drivers. The setup.exe file for that version reads as File version 3.0.723.0

So, here’s where the real problem is … when I try to install the Ati Catalyst Package (I started with the newest 10-1_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe) … it doesn’t show me Catalyst Control Center as an installation option.

missing-ccc

I’ve been trying to fix this for 24 hours now … have tried installing, uninstalling all the different versions of CCC (as demoed here). I could find on the Internet. Have booted into Safe Mode and used Driver Sweeper to wipe out all the ATI drivers. Have tried uninstalling everything, manually deleting the folders and registry entries. All I’ve done is managed to throw up more errors that talk about MOM.Implementation and CCC.Implementation when I boot Windows.

So, my question is … how do I get Catalyst Control Center to show up as an installation option when I run 10-1_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe ?

Alternatively, is there another way to make the black bars disappear? I'm using a simple HDMI output from my Dell laptop to my Dell monitor ... is there a Windows 7 option to fix this I don't know about?

Thank you for reading this and helping me (in advance!)

5 Posts

August 10th, 2010 20:00

Thank you so much. I have been trying to solve this for 2 days. This was exactly what I needed. I consider myself an advanced user but could not find the scaling options in my CCC. I had read in several places that this was my problem but could not find it until I read this post. I have a Dell Inspiron 570, Dell ST2310 monitor, and ATI Radeon HD 4200 Display adapter. Dell and ATI were no help at all. This should not even be an issue. Connecting a new computer and monitor in 2010 with an HDMI cable should be expected and dealt with before I or anyone else have to spend hours trying to solve. Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH for explaining this so well.

5 Posts

August 10th, 2010 20:00

The above reply (Thank You) was directed to the post - Posted by tnewman5927 replied on 01-28-2010 11:00 AM

August 11th, 2010 21:00

For all those folks who are having trouble with ATi Catalyst Control Center (one year later, I'm still having trouble getting the right version to work) ... here's another solution that's more likely to work.

Like every other application, CCC hosts its settings in the Windows Registry - so you can edit the overscan and underscan settings right in the Registry. Here're detailed instructions on how to do that - http://blog.thomascsherman.com/2010/06/removing-ati-underscan-from-your-hdmi-lcd-tv-no-catalyst-installed-or-configure-takes-you-to-welcome-screen/

1 Message

September 10th, 2012 23:00

my resolution was similar  but a bit diffent..

1. launch catylist control center

2. on left hit "my digital flat-panel"

3.click "scaling options

4.scroll the bar to the right for overscan

5. sweet justice!

hope this helps!

No Events found!