Ricky_C01
1 Copper

HELP!!! HELP!!! "No boot device available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

I suspect there are many users out there that have seen this problem. I have replaced the previous HDD as it was faulty in my Dell Dimension 8400. I have been trying to boot from the Dell reinstall Windows CD and keep getting this error "no boot device available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

I have promoted the optical drive to boot first and I do have the CD in the CD tray. I can see both optical drives along with the HDD in the BIOS. This should be a straight forward task but I have wasted best part of the day trying to get of first base!!!!

I have checked on a number of sites and there would appear to be lots of owners who have seen this problem but I am yet to see a solution that works. Is there anybody out there that can help? have replaced the previous HDD as it was faulty in my Dell Dimension 8400. I have been trying to boot from the Dell reinstall Windows CD and keep getting this error "no boot device available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

I have promoted the optical drive to boot first and I do have the CD in the CD tray. I can see both optical drives along with the HDD in the BIOS. This should be a straight forward task but I have wasted best part of the day trying to get of first base!!!!

I have checked on a number of sites and there would appear to be lots of owners who have seen this problem but I am yet to see a solution that works. Is there anybody out there that can help? emoticon.TongueTied.title

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
PETER345
5 Osmium

Re: HELP!!! HELP!!! "No boot device available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

Generally only the "first" optical drive is bootable.  Did you try the other drive?

Peter

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Re: HELP!!! HELP!!! "No boot device available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

If trying the other optical drive doesn't help, try clearing NVRAM (=resetting  BIOS to factory defaults).

Power off and disconnect PC from the wall. Press/hold the power button for ~15 sec. Open the case and remove the battery from the motherboard. Press/hold the power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!). Reboot and press F12. You should be able to pick Boot from CD from the list (with XP CD in the drive).

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
dave51
4 Tellurium

Press F2 at Dell srceen to enter System setup. Change "SATA Operation" to Raid / ATA Autodetect, exit saving settings. If neccesary reboot and at the Dell screen

Press F12 and check that you have a choice of "Onboard or USB CD/DVD Drive" in Advanced Boot Menu, if so highlight it and press enter. It should Boot from CD Drive.

XPS 410  Core2,  2.4 Ghz,   8Gb,  Win7 64

Latitude D610  XP pro,  Win7 RC

0 Kudos
dneicey
1 Copper

WHERE EXACTLY  IS SATA OPERATION IN SETUP

0 Kudos
dave51
4 Tellurium

In the 8400 Setup Screen it is "Drives>Drive Controller". Link below.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

XPS 410  Core2,  2.4 Ghz,   8Gb,  Win7 64

Latitude D610  XP pro,  Win7 RC

0 Kudos
dneicey
1 Copper

I put the battery in, unfortunately it's doing the same thing, what am I doing wrong:emotion-7:

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

What color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on rear of the tower? If not all green, look up error code here. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

It's possible the hard drive failed. Are you still unable to boot from your XP CD?

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
digitalmark007
1 Copper

Hey Ricky, I see you posted this problem a couple months ago. I hope you've figured out the problem by now, but in case you havn't, I may have the solution for you. I had the same problem about a month ago. After wasting several days unseccessfully searching the internet for a remedy and messing with every bios setting I could think of, I eventually discovered (by dumb luck) that it was necessary to install a driver from the ResourceCD that came with your dimension 8400. The 8400 won't be able to recognize your SATA drive as a hard drive untill then. I booted the computer with the ResourceCD in the cd rom, the cd loaded and stated that I needed to create a boot disc to install the driver for the SATA drive. I bought my 8400 with a 3.5" floppy drive so I used that to create the boot disc. I can't remember if it was an option to create a bootable cd there or not. I then took out the ResourceCD, left the 3.5" boot disc in the drive and restarted the computer. The driver for the SATA was installed, I took out the 3.5", put in the Windows XP reinstall cd and rebooted. I was then able to install Windows on my SATA hard drive without any problems. I hope this helps you out...    

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

The easier way to do it is to run BIOS setup and change the SATA Operation setting to RAID Autodetect/ATA.  Save the change and exit setup.

That way you don't have to load the SATA drivers before installing Windows.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos