Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2011 21:00

HELP!! I need a new driver for my Sigmatel audio card - Digital speakers have no sound!

Hello,

I know very little about computers! But, I have (I think) determined that I need to update my audio card driver so that my speakers work. I have a Dell XPS 410 and a Sigmatel audio card. My Cambridge Soundworks speakers stopped working, so I want to use my Boston Digital BA735 speakers and subwoofer. When I plug them in (tried all jacks) they do not work. According to what I've read on the internet, my sound card driver needs to be updated so that it will recognize these digital speakers. The speakers work fine on my (older) Gateway computer, so I know they work. I know nothing more, other than when I plug the left speaker into the green jack in the back of my computer it works, but of course I cannot control the volume or anything. I am convinced the problem is a driver issue. I searched all over and could not find anything or anyone to help me. All of the settings on my computer seem correct, and no problems are detected. I hope someone here can help! Thanks you much!

Marc

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 18th, 2011 03:00

The BA735 Gateway/Boston Accoustics speakers are Digital but an older digital format and are NOT compatible with current sound card digital outputs. 

This used to come up periodically, but it's the first time I've seen a post about these for a couple of years.

10 Posts

November 18th, 2011 05:00

Thank you. It is unfortunate news, but I understand. One question...my Dell is from 2006. Would there still be a compatibility issue since the sound card would be relatively old too?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 18th, 2011 10:00

Those speakers require an old SoundBlaster digital output that was abandoned many years ago.  The newer systems (including the era of your 2006 system) now use S/PDIF coax or Optical for digital audio interfaces.  However, in the 2006 era neither was standard, it was only on optional sound cards.  

I have a set of BA745 speakers that came with an old Gateway 700S desktop PC from 2002.  Forturnately they are standard analog 2.1 speakers and they still work good.

As the old SoundBlasters, that had that old digital interface, are obsolete I doubt that you could find one and if you did it probably would not be compatible.  I remember a neighbor, in 1998 or 99, that had a Gateway Windows 98 PC with digital speakers.

10 Posts

November 18th, 2011 13:00

Thank you for the information. Yes, these are from my old Gateway also. I guess I need to go buy some new speakers. It is a shame because these are great speakers. Oh well. Thanks for your help! Now I'm off to Best Buy...

No Events found!