Endraq
1 Copper

HELP! My Studio XPS 9100 is Deteriorating

Hello.  I have an XPS 9100 i7 930 12GB RAM 2TB RAID Radeon 5770HD system running Win7 Home Premium I purchased back in 2010 which has been performing very well until a few months ago...  The system began freezing-up (mouse & keyboard unresponsive) in Windows with BSOD, as well as in the BIOS setup itself.  BSOD messages related to driver issues and/or new hardware, but I hadn't installed anything recently.  Nevertheless, after trying to update drivers and remove unneeded applications the issue remained.  I started from scratch and repartioned & reformatted HD, reinstalled Win7 and installed the latest drivers I could find for the ATI card and the latest Intel RST (RAID) version...  I also found a BIOS update on the Dell site for my machine and applied it.  Zero errors in Device Manager and all seemed fine at first, but now I am having serious performance issues...  Applications take forever to respond yet CPU util is <7%.  I also noticed that some of my drives are missing from boot to boot and WIndows may or may not recognize my CPU and amount of RAM... 

I have repeatedly run the online Dell diagnostics, as well as the F12 boot-up PSA tool and only once has it said I have a memory issue (all other times all tests have passed 100%).  Could I somehow have a bad motherboard and/or a bad power supply?  How does one test these?  Has anyone else seen or heard of these deteriorating symptoms and how did they identify the root cause and.or repair the issue?  I am pulling my remaining hair out so if anyone has any solid advice please reply!  Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
7- Thorium

RE: HELP! My Studio XPS 9100 is Deteriorating

Hi Endraq,

The best way to diagnose this is to test individual components. The PSA tool is just a quick and dirty test, but some problems may not be diagnosed properly. If the memory came up bad once, I would grab a bootable flash drive and run Memtest from that. If that comes up clean, boot from your Dell drivers and utilities disc and test the other components, especially the hard drive.

The one component that can deteriorate is the hard drive. Most other failures will be sudden.

0 Kudos
silveraxe
1 Copper

RE: HELP! My Studio XPS 9100 is Deteriorating

I too am having the same problems. I have the same system. This has been a great system for 5 yrs. now. Now everything has gone bad all of a sudden. I tried Windows 10, big mistake. I went back to Win 7 Pro using my backup. The computer still works, but it is so slow, just copying files, sometimes it just sits there and does nothing. unresponsive. It will freeze up doing common tasks. Cpu usage is low. Ram usage is low. when this happens. All tests pass. I have run them many times. So I had to buy another one. What is going on?

0 Kudos